Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 18:34   #1

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation
Oil Dipstick Tube Transfer Pump

I was changing my oil today and could not pump the oil out of the Beta Marine using the hand pump on the engine. I found this $20 oil transfer drill pump at Home Depot that is all setup to suck the oil out using the oil dipstick tube. It worked great for me. Note put some drops of vegetable or olive oil in the intake part of the pump first. Also don't run the drill for more than 15 seconds when not pumping any fluids.

Everbilt Drill Pump 1000 026 322

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3-HD/204667248
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 22:09   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Oil Dipstick Tube Transfer Pump

The hand pump is a pain at any case, so this is a good idea and much cheaper than some electric impeller pumps. I’ surprised this pump generated enough suction to lift the heavy oil out of the engine in a reasonable rate.

Anyway, I’m sure people will be grateful for this idea.
Old 26-10-2020, 22:40   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
I was changing my oil today and could not pump the oil out of the Beta Marine using the hand pump on the engine. I found this $20 oil transfer drill pump at Home Depot that is all setup to suck the oil out using the oil dipstick tube. It worked great for me. Note put some drops of vegetable or olive oil in the intake part of the pump first. Also don't run the drill for more than 15 seconds when not pumping any fluids.

Hi, a vacuum oil extraction pump is a bit dearer but in my experience a whole lot better.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 22:49   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

The hand pump on my Beta wore out a few years ago. Mine was remote mounted in a convenient place, not on engine. I replaced the pump with a pneumatic hose coupling and bought a manual vacuum type oil change pump.

This set-up is more workable than shoving a hose down the dipstick hole. You never really know where the end of that dipstick hose will end up relative to the bottom of the sump.

IMO this is the cleanest method of extracting the oil. You never have to mess with an oily tube that you extract from the dipstick hole or the loose end of a drill pump output hose. Once set up just pump up the vacuum and let the oil flow into the pump tank. Then pour the oil into whatever you use to take it to recycle.

By warming up the oil by running the engine for 15 minutes the oil is thinner and can be sucked out easier.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 23:59   #5

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

Quote:

Thanks for the post. Got to be worth a try for me. No choice for mty engine but the dipstick tube, even with oil warm a manual vacuum pump takes 4 hrs for 16 litres of oil!

I'll use with care - with a previous boat & Perkins 4108 I had an electric pump. The outlet pipe got out of the waste oil tub and sprayed oil, what a mess.
sailorphil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 02:10   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

These are nice. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/jabs...e-oil-changer/
Old 27-10-2020, 03:13   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i have had great success with these off ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Dies...72.m2749.l2649

a mechanic with a hand pump can get out about 4L of oil (hot) from our 4JH's. the pump above gets out 5L when cold. highly recommend !

cheers,
Old 27-10-2020, 05:01   #8

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i have had great success with these off ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Dies...72.m2749.l2649

a mechanic with a hand pump can get out about 4L of oil (hot) from our 4JH's. the pump above gets out 5L when cold. highly recommend !

cheers,
Very nice electric pump you posted. I may buy that one just to have it for next year to pump out both engine oil and maybe pump on the bottom of the diesel tank. Here is the US amazon link to that pump. Very reasonable. Thank you for posting.

https://www.amazon.com/HighFree-Extr...a-872883059911

The Everbilt I purchased pumped out all 3 quarts in about 2 minutes from the 16HP Beta Marine. The specs on the my Beta Marine has oil capacity of 3.06 quarts, which is what I pumped out. The trick is to cut a 60 degree angle on the end of the hose that is inserted into the oil dip stick tube.
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:23   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Did you open the valve on the bottom of the Beta oil pump AND turn the round, textured vent knob near the top? Won’t pump unless you do both (I always forget the pump vent knob). And open the oil fill cap.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:35   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have had a couple of these and can never get them to prime with 15-40 wt even when warm. Am I missing something?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:37   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
The hand pump is a pain at any case, so this is a good idea and much cheaper than some electric impeller pumps. I’ surprised this pump generated enough suction to lift the heavy oil out of the engine in a reasonable rate.

Anyway, I’m sure people will be grateful for this idea.
Do it with the engine warm. Hot oil is lower viscosity. We have a Banjo fitting in our oil drain and an electric pump. This drains our 3 gallon sump in just a couple minutes.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:47   #12

Quote:

I've had electric pumps and also the cheap thing you show. Neither are as good as one of those vacuum dip stik pumps. They are less messy and less complicated, no wires needed, and store the oil for you. etc. JMHO
https://www.zoro.com/mityvac-fluid-e...waAsahEALw_wcB

This type of unit is even less messy and better than the expensive permanent oil change pump and valve system I had attached to the sump drain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:51   #13

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've had electric pumps and also the cheap thing you show. Neither are as good as one of those vacuum dip stik pumps. They are less messy and less complicated, no wires needed, and store the oil for you. etc. JMHO
This has been my experience too. The built in pump on our Perkins 4.108 leaves quite a lot of oil in the engine. An electric pump in the dipstick was not particularly convenient to use because of battery connections and failed after not many oil changes. The brass manual pump is ok but I find balancing the receptacle for the used oil a bit precarious. The vacuum pump that sucks everything into its own container is now my first choice. And depending on where I am, it is sometimes possible to take the used oil to the recycling depot and dump it straight into a large vat, saving one more transfer from a plastic bottle that is even more difficult to recycle because of oil contamination.
Old 27-10-2020, 09:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
This has been my experience too. The built in pump on our Perkins 4.108 leaves quite a lot of oil in the engine. An electric pump in the dipstick was not particularly convenient to use because of battery connections and failed after not many oil changes. The brass manual pump is ok but I find balancing the receptacle for the used oil a bit precarious. The vacuum pump that sucks everything into its own container is now my first choice. And depending on where I am, it is sometimes possible to take the used oil to the recycling depot and dump it straight into a large vat, saving one more transfer from a plastic bottle that is even more difficult to recycle because of oil contamination.
E X A C T L Y !

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 09:09   #15

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

Always hated those drill pumps as they never worked well. Also have a 12 volt pump with a big bucket but that too had issues.

Last year went to the smaller West Marine (only on sale) 2.9 quart oil change extractor that works great on my Yanmar 3GM30F and my outboard. Vacuum extraction got more oil out than ever, cleaner and quicker.

Saves the grief when it comes to end of season oil changes for engine, generator and outboard.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...tems-_-Desktop
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, pump