Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 08:09   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Not a lot of Water Coming out of Exhaust!

Running hot-worse under load, steam vapor in exhaust, contaminated coolant: equals blown head gasket or even small leak in head gasket. Get it checked by a mechanic. Each diesel is designed to run at a specific temperature and to have a certain amount of coolant flow to maintain that temperature which can be checked with the bucket method mentioned above. Too cool or too hot is bad. Coolant elbows gradually clog up when the salt water/rust/contaminants evaporate after running the engine. You should not have to be adding coolant that often. If you are a DIY you can rent a device at the auto parts store to check for a blown head gasket (basically a thingy that goes on the radiator cap and checks pressure etc. When I tried it on the Suburban the pressure went so high it launched the device like a Polaris missile as the leak over-pressurized the coolant system.(Disclaimer, I am not an engine mechanic but I found this escaped two mechanics when fixing my Suburban, but I now also have a new water pump and thermostat in addition to the head work...)
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, exhaust