Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2005, 14:41   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Normal operating rpm

I have been unable to find a recommended figure for a "recommended" maximum rpm at which to run the motor during "normal" use.

The engine in question is a Volvo Penta 2003 (model, not year).

The Instruction book that I have downloaded quotes the maximum operating rpm as 3200 (producing 28 hp).

I'm guessing that there will be a percentage of the max revs that is recommended for long periods of motoring, and a higher percentage that may safely be used for short periods of time.

Because I cannot find any figures for safe rpm, I have been fairly conservative and stayed below 2200 rpm, but It would be nice to know if I could safely crank that up some without risking shortening the motor's life expectancy....

Anyone have any hard and fast figures or rule of thumb calculations?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 14:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Pat sure is busy lately!
Old 19-12-2005, 15:31   #3

I looked at the power curve on Volvo's site. I think 2200 is to low. I'd run it between 2500-3000
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 16:44   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
80%

is the standard used for normal operation. If the maximum RPM is 3200 then the operating RPM would be in the vicinity of 2500 to 2600.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:58   #5

Smile Re: Normal operating rpm

Today, after repair of a leak in the return fuel line, bleeding, etc, by the Volvo agent, the motor was ticking like a swiss watch. The mechanic told me to accelerate full throttle in neutral. I asked: are you sure? and he said yes, lets give it a try. I did, it went up to 3200 rpm without smoke (and did not explode). I normally cruise between 2200 and 2800 rpm. It is a 2003 B (1991) raw water cooled.
OLD VOLVOS NEVER DIE !
PedroPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
is the standard used for normal operation. If the maximum RPM is 3200 then the operating RPM would be in the vicinity of 2500 to 2600.

Jim
Your 80% is closer to a maximum sustained than a “normal”
For instance 75% power is usually a maximum sustained power for an aircraft piston engine.
However an engine will last much longer if not run so hard, the exception to that is if an engine is very much derated to start with, a seriously derated engine it’s not so bad to run nearly wide open, as wide open isn’t really “wide open” because it’s derated.

An automobile with a 6500 max RPM for example, 80% is above 5000 RPM, do you guys drive your cars in a gear that equals over 5000 RPM continuously?
Why not?
Then why would you do it in your boat? Do you think boat motors are “special” motors and that they are different than regular motors?

Low power operation, even for Diesel engine autos has a very great deal to do with why they last so long.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post

Jim
Your 80% is closer to a maximum sustained than a “normal”
For instance 75% power is usually a maximum sustained power for an aircraft piston engine.
Actually percent power doesn’t track RPM exactly, but it’s not way off at higher RPM’s
However an engine will last much longer if not run so hard, the exception to that is if an engine is very much derated to start with, a seriously derated engine it’s not so bad to run nearly wide open, as wide open isn’t really “wide open” because it’s derated.

An automobile with a 6500 max RPM for example, 80% is above 5000 RPM, do you guys drive your cars in a gear that equals over 5000 RPM continuously?
Why not?
Then why would you do it in your boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Normal operating rpm

It's a natural, non-turbo, engine. Higher rpm won't bother it as much because the exhaust gas isn't that hot. If you keep the oil clean, it can probably run at 80% for the next 20 years.

The most wear is going to be the rings and cylinder walls. Excessive heat and dirt in the oil are the cause the most wear. Once the crosshatching wears (carries oil to the upper cylinder) the cylinder and rings wear fast. Before that time, new crosshatching can be honed in and new rings will give near new performance.
Pic is x-hatching in Detroit sleeves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	671 sleeves xhatching.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	221483  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 03:22   #9

I see this is an older post but I hope there are still some watching. I have a Volv Penta 2003T which gave up the ghost just as I went to take my boat out for a storm that was on the way up here (Eastern Canada). Fortunately I got a tow. The local mechanic gave the engine last rites and suggested a new engine (this one has been re-built at least once). I like the idea of repowering with an electric motor (honest I do understand the drawbacks but I am confident this is a good choice - just for me) - I need to get the Power Curve for the VP 2003T but cannot seem to find it anywhere - does anyone have a copy or know where one is located? Thanks
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 07:03   #10

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

[QUOTE=The mechanic told me to accelerate full throttle in neutral. I asked: are you sure? and he said yes, lets give it a try. I did, it went up to 3200 rpm without smoke (and did not explode). [/QUOTE]

This is completely normal for a diesel engine in proper condition. Why people are afraid to do it is baffling. Owners would be unnerved to see a brand new engine run up to max RPM right after warm up.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 07:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmowbray View Post
... I need to get the Power Curve for the VP 2003T but cannot seem to find it anywhere - does anyone have a copy or know where one is located? Thanks
Try this copy of the 2000 series datasheet/brochure. It is not the clearest PDF, but it does have power, torque, and fuel consumption curves for all the 2000 series engines.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 09:10   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I looked at the power curve on Volvo's site. I think 2200 is to low. I'd run it between 2500-3000
I have a Westerbeke 20B Two (18 HP) diesel and my cruising rpm is 2500-3000.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm