Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 14:40   #1
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
No Raw Water from Sail Drive Seacock

I have a Volvo sail drive that no long has water coming out the sea cock at the hull joint boot. I have been able to get a rod through the sea cock and past the 45 degree bend by about an inch. It then hits something very hard. Does anyone know if there is a screen in within the leg portion of the system? Would anyone have a schematic of the coolant plumbing? Thanks in advance for any assitance.
Old 08-11-2009, 17:34   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I have a Volvo sail drive that no long has water coming out the sea cock at the hull joint boot. I have been able to get a rod through the sea cock and past the 45 degree bend by about an inch. It then hits something very hard. Does anyone know if there is a screen in within the leg portion of the system? Would anyone have a schematic of the coolant plumbing? Thanks in advance for any assitance.
DRS,

I have a diagram and picture of the sea cock and there doesn't appear to be a screen in there. I looks like a "water channel" thru the lower half of the drive leg that goes down to the little inlet holes in the drive. You maybe hitting the side of the channel with your rod rather than a screen.

Have you checked for barnacles, plastic or other junk on the inlet holes or inside the drive leg? That maybe the most likely problem.

I don't particularly like the design of cooling water coming through those small holes and then thru a 6 ft hose to the sea strainer. The holes are susceptible to blockages from fouling and the long hose reduces water flow. I'm hauling out this week and adding new raw water seacocks within 18 inches of the sea strainer and avoiding the cooling water coming thru the leg altogether. I talked to another owner who made this mod and he was very happy with the improved water flow.
Old 08-11-2009, 17:36   #3

Hi DRS, you should have a good flow from the sail drive with the hose off and the valve open, I have heard that barnacles like to grow there and some people have good luck using a piece of all thread to clear out any obstructions, good luck, mike.
mikemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 18:12   #4
DRS

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have a diver checking the underwater side of things in a couple of days. I have had an issue before with muscels growing in there before but was able to break up the shells by jamming a rod down through the sea cock. This time I'm up against something very solid. There is no water what so ever coming out of the sea cock so one way or the other I'm going to have to resolve the problem
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24   #5

Boat: Manta 40
Quote:
I'm hauling out this week and adding new raw water seacocks within 18 inches of the sea strainer and avoiding the cooling water coming thru the leg altogether. I talked to another owner who made this mod and he was very happy with the improved water flow.
This is the best solution. We have sail drive and have to clean out the intake on the front of the drive on a regular basis. IIRC there isn't anything that could come lose and block off the route.
Old 16-11-2009, 18:14   #6
DRS

FYI. We were able to attach a garden hose to the ship side of the sea cock. Close sea cock and turn on water full pressure. Rapidly open the sea cock. It seemed to back wash the obstruction out of the system. We could see remenants of shells sinking from below the drive unit. Has worked fine since.
Old 16-11-2009, 19:45   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
For what its worth...on my Yanmar sail drive...when obstructed
and need to purge from the inside out...I have used a 2 gallon
garden type pressure sprayer that you hand pump...connected
with hose and clamped on to sea cock...lots more pressure if needed...works every time!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, saildrive