Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 11:01   #16
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: no fuel level sensor

is it possible to drill a small hole into an aluminum fuel tank with fuel still in it? im pretty sure they sell non sparking drill bits but not sure of the wisdom of doing this. i have the exact same problem but tank is not in the keel and hour meter is not working.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:03   #17

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman View Post
Great thread as we are also all over the RPM range so hours run is very ifffy. Our electric gauge at least tells me full , about half full , and near empty on Each of our two 45 gallon tanks. The dipstick idea makes sense. Any links to a kit like the . One that has holes every 10 liters? How does it stay sealed at top of tank?
It just drops into the fill pipe. The top is within an inch of the fill pipe rim, and there is a short loop of string you hook with your finger to pull out.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:52   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Over time you will discover how much fuel your engine needs.

It is super to have a gauge but not a deal killer otherwise.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 23:54   #19

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
is it possible to drill a small hole into an aluminum fuel tank with fuel still in it? im pretty sure they sell non sparking drill bits but not sure of the wisdom of doing this. i have the exact same problem but tank is not in the keel and hour meter is not working.
Actually, drilling into an MT tank with an explosive mixture of vapors is what will kill you.
So, if the fuel is Diesel Oil, you have a few of options:
1) Drill into a completely full tank. Keep diapers and a fire extinguisher handy. Turn OFF the bilge pump.
2) Cover the diesel in a partially full tank with CO2 from a fire extinguisher and then seal the vent line, (in the old days, on ships, I’ve heard they did this with a loaf of bread) Then drill. Of course we used an explosemeter to make sure. But if you really can purge the gaseous volume above the fuel of O2, you can do hot-work.
3) The proper way, of course, would be to MT and gas-free the tank.
If the fuel is gasoline, #3 is the only way to go.
I’m not suggesting any of these, (except #3), because if one does not know what he is doing there may not be a happy ending. These are just things that I might consider for myself.
Liquid diesel at room temperature is hard to light. But volatile vapors from additives or ?? Would still worry me. Gasoline will blow up if you look at it wrong.
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 18:30   #20

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

You can hand drill with an eggbeater. While I’m not 100% on my memory you aren’t getting any sparks and any heat you generate will be less than a hot ambient day.
But then I’m old and may misrember.
Old 27-06-2020, 19:10   #21

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I doubt that a sharp drill with cutting fluid or paste will be sparking, or that even if it did that diesel would ignite. Drilling dry is another story and always a bad idea for metal. But make your own decision.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel