Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 06:42   #46

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: New motor(vetus) does not rev up to the max!

I feel for you Jani. Not the way you want to experience a new engine. I hope this will be sorted soon. At least you now have ruled out the engine itself. So either you have a silly propeller size or the transmission has an odd ratio. Both can be checked when out of the water.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 07:15   #47

Thank you for sympathy.

The gear ratio is stamped on the body of the gear and the stamp is visible from the engineroom. In stamp it says 2.15 and the ordered was 2.15 so I believe that is correct.

I am having bad(or good, it depends) feeling about tomorrow....That it will be waste of time. Because for sending wrong size prop would be really amateur mistake from the such a reputable company as flexofold.

...And....if the size is as it should, then....? What then?? The shop who will assist do not have a another propeller to test. So if the size is 18x14 then what next? Buy a new propeller for 2000e for testing? What if even that does not help? ?
Jani-SRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 07:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani-SRI View Post
Thank you for sympathy.

The gear ratio is stamped on the body of the gear and the stamp is visible from the engineroom. In stamp it says 2.15 and the ordered was 2.15 so I believe that is correct.

I am having bad(or good, it depends) feeling about tomorrow....That it will be waste of time. Because for sending wrong size prop would be really amateur mistake from the such a reputable company as flexofold.

...And....if the size is as it should, then....? What then?? The shop who will assist do not have a another propeller to test. So if the size is 18x14 then what next? Buy a new propeller for 2000e for testing? What if even that does not help? ?
I'm not so sure. We have a 40 HP Volvo using a 18*13 propeller (all brand new as well) and the engine has no problem getting it up to 3000 RPM @ 7.7 knots. So with 53 HP your 18*14 sounds very reasonable.
So again, make sure you check both the propeller and the transmission ratio (by actually turning the engine). The persons that put on the identification marker on the transmission could have had an off day as well.
Old 26-04-2016, 08:35   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluijten View Post
I feel for you Jani. Not the way you want to experience a new engine. I hope this will be sorted soon. At least you now have ruled out the engine itself. So either you have a silly propeller size or the transmission has an odd ratio. Both can be checked when out of the water.
A good suggestion that cost nothing. Just because the order and the stamping say 2.15 doesn't mean it is. I feel sure the same housing is used for several ratios, a product line change over could easily result in a stamping and gearing difference.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:57   #50

Thanks! Confirming the gear ratio is a good idea...Just have to think how to turn the motor by hand...there is no crank and no compression release lever....

What I see from the technodrive manual, they are making this gear only with 2,15 and 2,38 ratios. This should be 2.15.
Old 26-04-2016, 09:05   #51

Quote:
Thanks! Confirming the gear ratio is a good idea...Just have to think how to turn the motor by hand...there is no crank and no compression release lever....

What I see from the technodrive manual, they are making this gear only with 2,15 and 2,38 ratios. This should be 2.15.
- Putting an wrench on the nut that holds the cranckshaft pulley is the most easy way. Slow turning by hand is possible for small diesels.

If you should have a 1:2.15 then a wrong one (1:2.38) would make the propeller turn even more slowly so I don't think the ratio is the problem, but you should rule it out. After all Technodrive is an Italian company
Old 26-04-2016, 09:24   #52

Quote:

If the other ratio is 2.38 it's probably not the problem. Unless I am thinking backwards, It would be more likely to allow the engine to rap up.

Best of luck,
Roger
Old 26-04-2016, 09:53   #53

I tested the engine turning and it is going ok with the socket from the free end crank nut. ....Just now after the tecnician visit and after me turning the engine, the "caterpillar" yellow is coming off and engine looks "old" already ;-( Well...I guess that is the least of my problems now.... Should make it run first properly! But... I still cannot understand why the whole engine is about dipped to the yellow paint?? This kind of paint work is flaking off so easily with big flakes and then you have bare metal visible....

The RPM adjustment check was done in berth... I think it should not make any difference if the boat is tied up or free. The tech. was talking something that maybe when driving the boat there will be better result...? But...How is that? The propeller is putting the same energy to the water any case isn't it?

Well...tomorrow is a new day again....
Old 26-04-2016, 10:23   #54

Quote:

The RPM adjustment check was done in berth... I think it should not make any difference if the boat is tied up or free. The tech. was talking something that maybe when driving the boat there will be better result...? But...How is that? The propeller is putting the same energy to the water any case isn't it?
Ever noticed that rowing is easier once you're up to speed?

It's about slip.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:35   #55

Quote:
I tested the engine turning and it is going ok with the socket from the free end crank nut. ....Just now after the tecnician visit and after me turning the engine, the "caterpillar" yellow is coming off and engine looks "old" already ;-( Well...I guess that is the least of my problems now.... Should make it run first properly! But... I still cannot understand why the whole engine is about dipped to the yellow paint?? This kind of paint work is flaking off so easily with big flakes and then you have bare metal visible....

Well...tomorrow is a new day again....
I will leave this alone and let someone that is willing to go through the dynamics. The tech. is correct. Maybe to put into the prospective of your car hauling a 5 ton load or a 10 tion load up the same hill.
Old 26-04-2016, 11:03   #56

this will be seen after sea trial and then the boat is to be lifted up if not satisfactory results prior that.
Old 26-04-2016, 11:06   #57

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

So we're back to the suggestions in post #8, an improper prop spacer or a small line wrapped between the hub and the saildrive housing? Even if the prop is sized 1" over in diameter and 3" in pitch, as suggested in post #39 above, it's hard to imagine why the engine will only turn up to 1900 as a result of overpropping only. Allowing a generous 200 rpm for each inch over both ways, we're still short 300 rpm.

If it does turn out to be overpropping only, surely the Flexofold people you bought the prop from will allow you to swap undamaged, almost new blades for those more appropriate?

If you haven't done an actual sea trial, it might be a good thing to see what she does before you haul her, to give you an idea of to what size blade you should be going...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:01   #58

So IF the spacer is wrong size or missing, what that would cause? The propeller to slip on the shaft?

According the Flexofold manual this was not supplied by them...Would it be normally supplied by technodrive?
Old 26-04-2016, 13:44   #59

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
So IF the spacer is wrong size or missing, what that would cause? The propeller to slip on the shaft?

According the Flexofold manual this was not supplied by them...Would it be normally supplied by technodrive?
I'm thinking the opposite, the wrong (or possibly absent?) spacer could allow the propeller hub to move forward enough to contact the saildrive housing or anode.

The shaft is splined, I don't think slipping could be an issue. At any rate, slipping would be apparent by over-revving.

In the installation manual referenced above, it appears that there are different spacers for either a fixed or folding prop. Perhaps you can verify this with Tecnodrive, and at the same time find out if there is a special spacer for the Flexofold.

Alternatively to hauling, are you, or do you know, a diver? I change the anode on my prop with a snorkel and a screwdriver, and have (once) changed the prop itself (a royal pain in the butt)...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 14:34   #60

OK...now I understand what you think might be the problem. I was already thinking that the slippage would be more difficult to understand since the shaft is splined.

That will be easily seen if the prop hub had touched the anode in the saildrive leg. IF that is the case then I can understand that the friction would slow down the prop. and engine as well.
It said also in the flexofold manual that the propeller does NOT function well without the spacer washer. I was just thinking what it would cause in concretic way?

It is easy to see that you are from warm waters
Here in Southern France it is still pretty cold. When I wake up from my cabin, it was around 15C this morning. Night time maybe 10C outside and the water temperature I do not even know. I do not have a dry suit, so I do not feel to go to swim/dive under the boat. I do not like lifting her up due expense and also the damage to the paintwork and gelcoat when they use dirty sandy slings....But what I can do?!

I read from the flexofold manual, that it is ok to even replace the propeller under water, but then the screws should be ordered from flexofold with pre- applied tread lock. The normal tread lock does not cure under water they say..

Tags
motor