Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 07:22   #16

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: New motor(vetus) does not rev up to the max!

Your Vetus engine is in fact a Mitsubishi engine sprayed yellow. Pretty solid engines I think, maybe a bit old in design. That also means they are proven design. If your Engine does not go over the 3000 RPM unloaded, there must be something wrong with this particular engine. The governor (RPM-limiter) should only kick in at max. RPM so higher then your 3000 RPM. It seems the fuelflow is restricted somehow, because under load you get even far less RPM. It could be at the same physical fuel flow though. So it may be that the calibration of the fuelpump is off. Normally these pumps have markers on them to show if anyone has been altering the settings, maybe something to check.
Not seeing smoke is to be expected at restricted fuel flow, smoke is typically too much fuel for the given load.
Your max RPM in reverse is higher. I would expect that as the "bite" of a propeller is usually a bit less in reverse then in forward motion.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:32   #17

Yes...This is mitsu based engine and marinated by vetus (add cooler and wet exhaust and control panel and raise up the price x 4).

The base engine is Mitsu S4L2-T

Sole is also same engine basically.

there is a vetus seal in the screw for the max rpm adjustment.
I cannot try to adjust that because then the seal is gone and warranty as well.

Of course I cannot be sure that the vetus original tachometer is showing correct. I went to ask to borrow a strobo tachometer tool from the shop I have spent thousands of euros....but no. They need around 80e and techinician to come and use it. I think it is quite a lot for a 5min job. I could had even paid for borrowing the tool for max 10min....but nope.
Well...I guess this is the local style here in France.
Jani-SRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:38   #18

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani-SRI View Post
there is a vetus seal in the screw for the max rpm adjustment.
I cannot try to adjust that because then the seal is gone and warranty as well.
Yeah but that may not be the issue at all. If the fuel flow is restricted then the max.RPM setting will not change that.
I would think the Vetus warranty is not tied down to a specific company installing the engine. So I would call the the Vetus importer and explain the situation claiming warranty on the engine. You tried to walk the proper path with your installation and now their engine is giving you an headache.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:49   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Engine / transmission / prop mismatched.

You may want a different prop.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:13   #20

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well, since this is a new installation, you have new, oversized fuel lines, an electric fuel feed pump, and appear to have double checked the fuel supply avenue, it seems prudent to look in another direction, (though you could try a filter change in the offhand chance that one is defective)

The high idle speed should be about 10 percent over max rpm at load, so 3250 is about right. It is true the tach may be off, you should be able to buy an inexpensive contact or strobe tach for the 80e the shop wants to do it for you.

You might try disconnecting the throttle cable and operating the throttle by hand to see if you get the remaining high idle rpm that way.

If a brand new engine starts easily and runs smoothly without missing, it seems likely that there is nothing wrong with it...though, of course, anything is possible.

I'm still leaning toward something at the other end of the driveline...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:20   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

There are simple things I would check first-

A blocked or restricted exhaust (usually only shows up when engine is fully loaded and throttle wide open--idle with no load usually revs OK)

A propeller pitch is wrong, too coarse designed for a speed not usually attainable by a yacht under power.

Alternatively--the propeller diameter is too great.

The gearbox ratio is wrong for the size prop--the propeller should not spin at more than two thousand revs--usually much less. At low (yacht) speeds too fast a spin will just cause cavitation and damage to the propeller.

If you want to run your engine at a maximum of three thousand plus peak revs--as my Yanmar will--then you have to have the pitch and gearbox ratio to allow that easily. Diesel engines like to be loaded--but they do not like to be overloaded--evidenced by smoke and low RPM.

Lotsa luck.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:25   #22

Check the pitch of the prop. Been there and done that.
Doublewammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:55   #23

3000 rpm is at the high end of the range to begin with. Its also important to look at max rpm under load. Easy to do dockside. Make sure dock lines are tight, start engine, put in forward gear, rev up engine. You should be able to get at least 2800 rpms at max throttle. If not, look at the linkage between throttle and engine. Not long enough or too loose will give problem your describing.
Also check that the decompression levers are not fully closed.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:10   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Just my two cents Regardless of what the makers say, you are over propped.

On second thought. You have increase the HP approx. 20%. It may be the old fuel system isn't up to that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:19   #25

reed1v
No decompression lever on this engine. There is no hand crank to start the motor manually. Only electric start. I tested in berth lines to ashore... And max rpm with load is what I explained... 2100 in reverse and 1800 in fwd.

When the throttle is full, the fuel linkage screw in the engine's fuel pump is leaning against the stopper.
Plenty ideas and comments coming!! That is nice. This is more help than any local shop around are willing to give...Thanks!!

Yes...the pitch is one question.... I am not sure if flexofold is having any numbers written to the prop... I am afraid not. And if that is the case, then I leave again hundreds of euros to marina for lifting and lowering etc.. without any benefit.... I tried to ask from the shop what happens if there is no markings? They are not giving any comments for that...

Exhaust is not blocked. That is completely new hose from the engine to the waterlock and to the overboard.

I do not think I can achieve anything by disconnecting the throttle cable and manual operating of it because the fuel linkage in the motor is already full when throttle is full.

Still I have basically 2 concerns...the propeller pitch or something funny with the engine.
Old 25-04-2016, 09:31   #26

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I don't think you have mentioned if you are seeing any black smoke from the exhaust under load at 1800.

That would indicate overpropped right?

Lack of adequate fuel flow could limit revs under load but allow higher revs at no load as less dual is needed.

Over propped or lack of fuel?
Old 25-04-2016, 09:47   #27

No visible smoke from running with any throttle position gear on or off.

overpropped or lack of fuel(to the cylinders)?? that is the question in my head as well...

Since the engine does not run to 3350 without load, then I guess it could be possible that the max fuel screw is not properly adjusted?

But in any case....I need to try to find out tomorrow about the REAL rpm and calibrate the vetus meter according to that.
Old 25-04-2016, 09:56   #28

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani-SRI View Post

Yes...the pitch is one question.... I am not sure if flexofold is having any numbers written to the prop... I am afraid not. And if that is the case, then I leave again hundreds of euros to marina for lifting and lowering etc.. without any benefit.... I tried to ask from the shop what happens if there is no markings? They are not giving any comments for that...

I do not think I can achieve anything by disconnecting the throttle cable and manual operating of it because the fuel linkage in the motor is already full when throttle is full.
From Flexofolds website, it looks like the individual blades are marked, the prop in the image below looks like a 16 x 7 left hand to me.

Sometimes it appears that the throttle is at full stop, and yet when the cable is disconnected there turn out to be a few hidden RPMs. 350 RPM is not much travel, if you didn't hook it up yourself, you'll never know for sure if it's right.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:55   #29

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Have read entire post & it appears you have checked all of the fuel supply side.
Is there any restriction in air intake?

I have a VP 2003 28HP 2.5 reduction turning 17LH14 3 blade @ 2900 eng.RPM 28ft (25 ft wll) 9000Lb displacement modified full keel .
Old 25-04-2016, 12:59   #30

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Propeller
Don't look elsewhere
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor