Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 02:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2
New generator back end on my Westerbeke 7.6 kva Help

Hi all. I had removed my Westerbeke 7.6 kva btd generator as the electricity end (alternator) had died. I have it back home where I have been working on it and have it ready to start with the new alternator attached. All hoses are doing what they should do.

SO I started it with a friend with the multimeter attached to the active and neutral and no power came out of it.

My questions are;

Does it have to be excited? After starting when on the boat I go to the mains electrical board and switch on the switch to Generator. After a few seconds it powers up to 110V then I turn on the circuit breakers to do run my appliances.

Being on the floor in the garage I don't have any of that, just the factory circuit breakers and the three wires. One to one circuit breaker, one to the other circuit breaker and the white to the chassis of the genset.

What Am I doing wrong to not get a voltage from touching the two wires with the multimeter set to AC volts?

Can anyone please shed some light as to how I can test it please?

I dont want to put it back in until I know it is working. I am 500km away from the ocean in a small country town where no one can help me.

Cheers
Dave
tommyboy-afloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 03:40   #2

Boat: Montgomery 17
Re: New generator back end on my Westerbeke 7.6 kva Help

Do you have the service manual? Here is a link to one; I'm not sure if it is your exact model. Electrical info starts on page 46.
https://www.westerbeke.com/technical...cal_manual.pdf
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 04:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Do you have the service manual? Here is a link to one; I'm not sure if it is your exact model. Electrical info starts on page 46.
https://www.westerbeke.com/technical...cal_manual.pdf

Hi Gerry, thanks for your reply. I have read the manual and what I dont understand is do I test the two black wires going into the circuit breakers from the 12 stud block or do I test the white ground or N wire and one of the black wires coming from the 12 stud block? Testing the AC volts with the multimeter that is.
Old 15-11-2020, 04:57   #4

I've never seen or worked on one of these; my experience has been with older Onan brushed 4-pole generators. So I've never worked on one in a boat. That said, looking at page 48 of the manual, I'd be testing for AC voltage between a neutral and a hot lead on the AC terminal block. I don't know if you're unit looks like the manual description. Is your boat wired for 120VAC, 240VAC, or both? On this unit are the bridge rectifier and transformer internal to the generator/alternator end and replaced with it?
Perhaps someone intimately familiar with this model will chime in soon.
Old 15-11-2020, 13:56   #5

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Have you found the little 'reset' button near the front of the engine on the front, left side down rather low? Looking from flywheel end.
Your model may be different?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 14:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
I've never seen or worked on one of these; my experience has been with older Onan brushed 4-pole generators. So I've never worked on one in a boat. That said, looking at page 48 of the manual, I'd be testing for AC voltage between a neutral and a hot lead on the AC terminal block. I don't know if you're unit looks like the manual description. Is your boat wired for 120VAC, 240VAC, or both? On this unit are the bridge rectifier and transformer internal to the generator/alternator end and replaced with it?
Perhaps someone intimately familiar with this model will chime in soon.

Ill post a photo of the wiring and will test between these wires suggested.
I did read that it may need a load applied to kick it into gear so to speak.
It is 120VAC 60hz. Yes the bridge rectifier and transformer are internal and when it arrived everything looked brand new.
Old 15-11-2020, 14:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Have you found the little 'reset' button near the front of the engine on the front, left side down rather low? Looking from flywheel end.
Your model may be different?

There is a 110v circuit breaker where the power goes out to the switchboard and also a small 12v popper type circuit breaker behind the box where all 12v wires go in. They are the only reset type switches I can see.
Old 15-11-2020, 21:36   #8

OK I just did a test between the black wire and the white wire. It showed 120v so am happy with the outcome.
Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Dave
Old 16-11-2020, 04:50   #9

Great! Glad to hear it works.

Tags
generator, westerbeke