Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 01:56   #1

Boat: Comar Comet 460
new engine and saildrive

Sadly i need to replace my old nanni 72hp and saildrive.
Any advice as to what to replace it with would be helpful.
Lidderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 15:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: new engine and saildrive

I own two Nanni engine and while you have a good supplier in the UK I have found Nanni parts to be very expensive and Nanni to often be unwilling to help source something directly when they don’t have it in stock at the factory.

Nanni also has not made it easy to receive shipped parts by refusing to drop ship and insisting they be routed through a dealer even though it would have considerable time money to ship directly to the customer.

I therefore would look very hard at alternatives especially those which use engine blocks made by other companies such as Kabota which might allow you an alternative route for parts. Nanni does use Kabota of course but they definitely don’t make it easy to find alternative sources for non Kabota parts.

For sail drives I would shy away from ZF for similar reasons plus their own statements on the expected life of their drives. ZF makes drives for other engine manufacturers so check where they get their drives.

Nanni btw dropped ZF for at least some there engines. They went with Technodrive by Twin Disc.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, sail, saildrive