Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2021, 13:33   #46

Re: new diesel fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
This thread seems to have gotten becalmed in the Horse Latitudes, but I'll give it another try: The tank I'm having made will be about 20w x 15 long x 20 high. Most aluminum tanks appear to be 0.080" material, does this seem to be too thin, and would 0.125 be recommended?, or am I being OCD.
Personally I would want it thicker if it's an option, but many are made out of that thin stuff.
I forget all the comments above in this thread but where many tanks fail is the corner, or where they are sitting on a support! They stay damp there and corrode. use a material for the support (or on top of the current wood support etc) that doesnt stay damp. Starboard or etc would be good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 13:39   #47

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

My new 36.5 gal aluminum tank (post #4) made by Best Fab (bestfab.com) in Florida is 1/8" 5052 H32 aluminum with a coal tar epoxy finish.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 13:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
This thread seems to have gotten becalmed in the Horse Latitudes, but I'll give it another try: The tank I'm having made will be about 20w x 15 long x 20 high. Most aluminum tanks appear to be 0.080" material, does this seem to be too thin, and would 0.125 be recommended?, or am I being OCD.

I made a 27 gallon fuel tank ( gas ) out of .125, 5052 aluminum. I had the tank quoted and they quoted it out of .100, 5052. But the cost difference between 0.100 and 0.125 was not significant. So I went with 0.125.
I wouldn't bother with 0.080. Its harder to weld and you have a lot less strength. It might be enough initially, but if you have any corrosion, you have a lot less margin.

0.125 might have been a slight overkill for a 27 gallon tank, but it should outlast me. My tank was quite flat since it lays under a center console deck.

Your tank is nearly square. So you will have big flat sides. I'd go with 0.125 on that tank and rest easy. If you are wondering, have them quote it with 0.100 vs 0.125. I'll be surprised if the difference is $50. For custom tanks, the cost is mostly labor (engineering, quoting, fabrication, etc). Aluminum isn't cheap, but labor and overhead is still more than 50% of the material costs. I think I had about $250 in materials with shipping. The tank that I was quoted was over $600 plus shipping.

Regarding corrosion. Make sure you don't have any dissimilar metals in contact with the tank. Also, I would sand, prime and paint the tank before installation.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 15:04   #49

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Personally I would want it thicker if it's an option, but many are made out of that thin stuff.
I forget all the comments above in this thread but where many tanks fail is the corner, or where they are sitting on a support! They stay damp there and corrode. use a material for the support (or on top of the current wood support etc) that doesnt stay damp. Starboard or etc would be good.
My aluminum tank has mounting brackets welded to the tank. The main body of the tank is not in contact with any surface. Someone was thinking when they designed it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank