Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 14:49   #1

New Beta Engine

Finally got my new beta engine installed and I found air in my fuel lines. I could see the bubbles in my racor coming out of the turbine. I checked every connection and they are all solid. Next I pulled the hose off my pickup tube and put it into a separate diesel tank and bled the engine. Voila, it runs like a charm! Does this mean my pickup tube is most likely to blame?
cborden3152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 15:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: New Beta Engine

You could put a clear hose btwn yr tank fitting & the filter to check air is coming from the pickup tube but thats what it sounds like.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 10:03   #3

Boat: None
Re: New Beta Engine

It is possible.

Pickup tubes can be tricky. Over time they can have a tendency to crack at the very top of tube. Some pickup tubes are made of nylon that just breaks down at some point in time. Many tank builders automatically add a screen at the bottom of the tube that can clog and cause increased suction in the system. Thus leading to an increased tendency to draw in air at fittings and also block fuel flow. They may also add an anti siphon valve at the top of the pickup tube and this will give the same results particularly if it creates a blockage. I would remove any screen or anti siphon valve on a diesel installation. Check all fittings very carefully. On a new install new hose and clamps should be used.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine