Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 18:37   #16

Re: Need Help with Fuel System Problem

I'm finally back in business with a running engine!

I got a replacement mechanical fuel pump from Volvo, but the 'correct' part didn't line up with the metal fuel lines. I could buy a replacement fuel line that might solve the problem, but as soon as I bolted the pump to the engine I owned it even if I couldn't get fuel lines to fit, etc. So I abandoned Volvo solutions and bought a Walbro electric fuel pump based on what I'd read in the Cruisers Forum.

I now have valves on the fuel tank lines (should have been installed by the builder), and a nice Walbro electric fuel pump. I moved the fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump inlet to the secondary filter inlet, and added fuel lines from the primary filter to the Walbro etc. The electric fuel pump is powered through the ignition switch, with an on/off switch over the engine for use when bleeding the fuel system.

The electric fuel pump is a big improvement over the mechanical one for bleeding the engine, just open a bleed screw and turn on the pump.

Thanks for all the advice from the forum. I learned a lot about diesel fuel systems. Summer's here (well, kinda wet so far in the PNW), time to go cruising.

Colin
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 03:16   #17

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Need Help with Fuel System Problem

Good man yourself Colin, good bit of lateral thinking. Some small Volvo diesels(up to 35 hp) were actually made by Perkins, the parts for Volvo's can be very expensive so think 'out of the box'. There's a company in the UK called Volspec who provide OE parts at sensible prices.
Hope this helps someone.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel