Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 23:18   #1

Need Help

I have a 1986 Nova 42 ft, It has twin Perkins diesel 165hp, 6cly. I have one motor that the water coming out the exhaust comes out in spirts and doesn't heat up. The other the water just runs out the exhaust and does heat up. Can anyone give me any ideals on what I can check to fix this. Thanks Dave
WizardsPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:50   #2

Re: Need Help

Open engine intake filter screen, if clean turn water on with filter top off to check for unobstructed flow. If all well there, remove raw water pump face plate & check impeller for missing or split vanes also check face plate/ impeller running surface for wear exceeding 00.15.'' Another possibility is the impeller boss centre turning independent of the rubber. These are quick & easy things to do after this it starts to get a bit more involved.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The engines should have an elbow at the end of the exhaust manifold where the sea water exits the exhaust manifold and is injected into the exhaust stream. It's common in older engines for rust and other debris to partially plug the elbow causing reduced flow. But several things can cause flow variances between to engines. Strainers could be plugged, heat exchanger could be plugged, bad impeller, intake valve partially closed, collapsed hose, muffler blockage and so on.
Some engines that have larger sea water pumps have a diverter that sends some water over the side w/o going thru the exhaust system. Usually controlled by a valve that is partially closed. Open - most of the water bypasses exhaust, closed - all the water goes out the exhaust.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote