Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 10:59   #16

Boat: KP 46
Re: Motor oil replaced by Diesel - what do I need to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost-There View Post
I'm with A64 and as LooseGoose suggested try and find a way to send in a oil sample. I've used Camguard in both aero and marine engines for years with great success,I've found it in multiple 3rd world countries without a problem and last but least is it is FAA certified to do what they say it does. So unlike most snake oils it actually has been tested and certified ;-)
I totally agree on the oil sample, it is so easy to do, not expensive, and gives not only results, but a base line for the future.

I don't use my engine much (about 300 hours on a new Yanmar in 10 years) so I add AVblend, (which I use in my plane as well). it is FAA certified and I believe it is the ingredient they use in Shell 100+ which is required for my Lycoming because of the cam spauling problem.

It is supposed to coat or impregnate the cyl walls etc so during a start they are not 'dry'.

Good stuff.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 12:06   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm with A-64
On his post #2.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 14:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Don't you hate it when they put fuel pumps and water pumps on a direct path to the lub oil so that a diaphragm or O-ring failure will pump these contaminates into the engine oil? Who designs this stuff anyway?

I tore mine out and put the water pump on a belt drive off a second crankshaft pully and used two VW type electric fuel pumps, either one of which will provide fuel to the engine. The engine will also suction feed without and primary fuel pumps.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 14:15   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

What they said, especially A64. Change the oil again, and often. Check compression. Listen closely for knocking that could indicate a trashed crankshaft bearing. Run it only when you need it. Maybe do a teardown when you are in a more civilized and technically advanced locale where parts and expert help are available. For now, it sounds like you caught it in time. Knock on wood. BTW, if it starts right up, never needs ether, compression is "probably" good. I can't remember when the last time I actually did a compression check on any engine at all.
Old 19-06-2018, 15:17   #20

Boat: 32 contessa

Hi and be carefull you dont get a runnaway diesel ,,, as diesel fuel in the sump can act like a 2 stoke motor and it will rev to distruction ,,, you will have no way of shutting it down as its fueling from the sump ,,, Please find out why (rings ect ) as i have seen a conrod come thru a block and poke thru the hull ,,,
Look at this link ,,,,
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w8ookb3/
Old 19-06-2018, 15:30   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Hi and be carefull you dont get a runnaway diesel ,,, as diesel fuel in the sump can act like a 2 stoke motor and it will rev to distruction ,,, you will have no way of shutting it down as its fueling from the sump ,,, Please find out why (rings ect ) as i have seen a conrod come thru a block and poke thru the hull ,,,
Look at this link ,,,,
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w8ookb3/
He can shut a runaway down by obstructing the air intake. It doesn't have to run to destruction.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 15:57   #22

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I had the same thing on my Perkins 4-154. You are lucky that you diagnosed it correctly. I had excessive leaking from my rear main seal, which I replaced, with no improvement. That was a bitch of a job working by myself, btw. When I figured out it was the fuel pump diaphragm (motor oil sample), I just bought a new fuel pump. 20 minutes to install, versus about 4 days of labor and hundreds of dollars in parts to replace the main seal. BTW, my motor ran just fine afterwards until I sold the boat a few years later.

Good luck, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 18:20   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Motor oil replaced by Diesel - what do I need to fix?

I had oil analysis done for 20 years on all oil lubricated components on several fleets of helicopters all over the world, and never, not once did an analysis ever tell me anything that wasn’t immediately apparent from filters or chip lights. If an oil analysis makes you feel good, do it, but without a baseline it’s not going to mean anything.
It was valuable for the trucks determining when the oil needed changing, sometimes it wasn’t for years if they were rarely used, taxpayers have saved tremendous amounts of money from oil analysis to determine oil quality.
Inspecting the filter will tell you volumes if there is anything in it.

As far as being FAA approved, that doesn’t mean anything, except that the product has been shown to do no harm, nothing else.
However there is an additive that has been in all aircraft oils for decades now that really did help prevent premature wear on Lycoming cams, although it’s usually from disuse and corrosion forming on the lobes, once you wear thru the hardened surface, it goes fast.
There is only one Lycoming approved additive, and guess who sells it
https://www.lycoming.com/content/oil-and-your-engine

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...iladditive.php
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 18:47   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I completely agree with A64.
Oil analysis can be useful in a limited way or completely useless.
I wrote this article about 15yrs. ago and for those that have not seen one, includes a few examples of analysis reports.
Oil Analysis, worth the money ?
Old 23-06-2018, 12:19   #25

Boat: Catana C48

I got the new diaphragm in and its still producing a lot of blue smoke. Its enough that dockworkers were waving at me and pointing.

Its sounds fine and starts right up. Idle speed is correct at 700. No strange shaking and its getting up to 2400 RPM just like normal (I didn't want to push it higher). It produces a lot more smoke at 2400 RPM than at 700.

I changed the filter and oil to full synthetic. I threw out the filter (before I read everyones posts) but I have the oil still. I'll see if I can find a place in Santiago/Valparaiso that does oil analysis.

In the mean time I'll try not to use it much - Im in a catamaran so its not really critical except for tight docking maneuvers.

After talking to my captive expert (i.e. dad) for a while we decided its very unlikely the high pressure pump is leaking into the fuel, because the fuel should be higher pressure than the oil everywhere in pump. That leaves rings and valve seals I guess. I'd love to know if anyone thinks otherwise.

Thanks for all the help!!
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:35   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have you put it under a load and gotten it hot yet?
How long have you let it run?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:47   #27

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

curious where are you and which way are you going? up the chilean coast or the argentina coast?

ld
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:50   #28

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Subscribed!

I had a very similar strange experience with my Lehman 120. Lots of blue smoke suddenly during passage. Checked at end of run, oil levels etc. all OK (reman w/ 1300hrs). In very isolated area, ran for total of 7hrs smoking in 2 separate runs. Smoked cleared up as suddenly as it appeared.

After run the oil level was a bit higher. Next morning higher still. Changed oil only, ran 2hrs, no smoke, checked oil level, level OK. Left fuel valves closed overnight, then open overnight w/o running, no changes in fuel level.

That was 20hrs ago. No changes in oil level or smoke since. Can’t figure out one common component that would cause both issues on an intermittent bases. Continuing to monitor closely.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 13:01   #29

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I got the new diaphragm in and its still producing a lot of blue smoke. Its enough that dockworkers were waving at me and pointing.

Its sounds fine and starts right up. Idle speed is correct at 700. No strange shaking and its getting up to 2400 RPM just like normal (I didn't want to push it higher). It produces a lot more smoke at 2400 RPM than at 700.!
Just a quick thought here... is it up to temp when you get the blue smoke at high rpm? and... not meaning to insult your intelligence here... is it blue and not white or grey smoke?

Just can not imagine fuel in the oil causing valve seals to fail, and if she starts fine she must have good compression so rings must be good..

when did you last service the injectors? and... what is the oil pressure at low rpm and WOT?

just some suggestions.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 14:04   #30

Boat: Catana C48

You guys are amazing

After the pump repair and oil change I ran it with no load at 1500 RPM for 40 minutes and it was still smoking.

Today leaving Puerto Montt I ran it to get away from the dock for 15 minutes at ~1800 RPM and it was smoking a lot.

Based on feedback in the thread (specifically A64) I gritted my teeth and ran the engine at 2200 RPM under load. It blew out a ton of smoke for 30 minutes then very suddenly stopped. Now there is no visible blue smoke.

Thanks everyone! That was way cheaper and easier than a re-ring
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, motor, oil