Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2007, 06:37   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
monitoring yanmar diesel engines via computer

I have the typical yanmar RPM gauge with idiot lights (3JH4CE), but really want to know more than that, engine temp at a minimum would be critical so I can see if its gradually rising instead of just getting the overheat alarm. I heard that you could install a send unit on the engine with nema output to a monitoring system, but have no idea how or who makes it. Ideally it would be great to install on in my boat something like a apple mini-mac with navigation software and monitoring software which could send to a remote touch screen navigation info plus engine monitoring info. The minimac PC hardware and screen are less than the cost of a digital chart monitor and would have far more functionality (pick tunes that you want to listen to, sirius feeds to live weather and navigation bouy info, centralize engine info, navigation, etc) . Back to the engine monitoring though, anyone have an idea where to get started with this?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 07:33   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I have asked about this to the Yanmar dealers and none know much about this,.
One dealers said there is an aftermarket nema do hicky that would work, but he did not know where to get it
If you find out anything I would like to know also~
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 08:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You want to be searching for senders with NMEA outputs (not NEMA)
ie:
www.cruzpro.com/t60man-l.pdf
MGL Avionics - Stratomaster Ultra Horizon XL
vGaugeG12 - Multi-function Digital Gauges

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 08:32   #4

thank you again Gord! I'm tracking down some specifics from seagauge and will post that when I recieve it as it looks like they have a system that can be used with vDash, a product that runs on a small PC and can be used to monitor everything. Blue tooth engine monitors, I LOVE THAT!
Old 20-04-2007, 09:31   #5
learningcurve

marine engine makers seem to be behind the curve with electronic engine control and monitoring. Volvo seems to be leading the way on this in the marine diesel market. I imagine yanmar can't be too far behind. rumor at last years ibex was yanmar was to make 'signifcant' announcements with their product line this year. I hope it is electronic controls and a fill out of the 60-110 hp gap in their products.I see westerbeke has a nmea2000 compatible genset. Not sure what it provides datawise.
Old 20-04-2007, 09:41   #6

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
CruzPro makes a pyrometer (PY30 and PY60) that have NMEA outputs in addition to programmable alarms. I installed one on my 3GM's exhaust pipe after the cooling water entry point. I was able to program a setpoint that causes the alarm to go off within 30 seconds of closing off the cooling water seacock.

I see very little use hooking this up to my nav computer. Perhaps integrating the exhaust temp into the automatic log in a black-box fashion?
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 17:35   #7

Here's some info from seagauge, it sounds simple enough that I can even do it. This plus some good cheap nav software and my favorite MP3s loaded up on a $600 mini mac and I'm set.

vDash is a Software program that works with our vGauge product line of Digital Gauge clusters.

Our gauges have different styles of displays to suit various applications from 2 line character LCD to full screen graphic displays.

One of our products – vGauge-Remote ( www.chetcodigital.com/vGauge/vGauge_spec_Remote.htm ) , is a stand alone sensor interface box that can handle 2 pulse (RPM) inputs and 8 analog (TEMP, PSI, FUEL, Voltage) inputs. vGauge – Remote does not have a display and can interface directly to a PC via serial link or with optional Bluetooth wireless interface. You would use vDash with vGauge – Remote if you wanted to create a computer based engine monitoring system

vGauge – Remote would support monitoring two engines with the following possible functions per engine.
  • RPM
  • Exhaust Temp
  • Manifold Temp
  • Oil Pressure
  • Fuel gauge
Since all of our units are programmable – you can create just about any combination of monitoring system by choosing the type of sender/sensor. We can supply standard VDO sensors for temperature, pressure, EGT, BOOST, AMP, VOLT, and many others.

The vDash software allows you to label and arrange the virtual dashboard in any configuration you desire and also supports data logging. If you have a Bluetooth adapter for your PC, you can do all this from about 30 feet away with our optional Bluetooth module. A mini version is available for PDA’s.

vDash is bundled with any of our vGauge units so a vDash/vGauge-Remote package would be $345 (senders not included) Senders run from $15 to $25 each depending on type. For exhaust gas temperature you would need a K-type thermocouple and an amplifier box. The thermocouples are $45 each and the amplifier is $65 but supports 2 thermocouples.

Here is the link to order senders

SeaGauge - Digital Marine Gauges - Order

Tags
diesel, yanmar