Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 14:52   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Mercury - I'm already desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan swift View Post
I would make sure the oil reservoir is full, I have a 150 2 stroke and if the reservoir under the coupling is not full the alarm will go off. Also the buzzer has a different sound or flashing of the light. Solid I think is for heat and flashing is oil. could be the other way around.
Good luck
If the oil tank is full and STAYS full, something is wrong. It is supposed to use oil at a rate of what... 1:40 with the gasoline?

You got a lot of things to check. It is always good when it is an obvious thing like impellor or temp sensor or alternator. Oh, have you pulled the spark plugs? Checked compression with a compression gauge?
Old 20-07-2017, 15:14   #17

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

While trouble shooting with oil alarms going off, I would mix some 2 cycle oil with the gasoline to keep from scoring the cylinder walls. Here is a manual for trouble shooting the mercury, assuming the correct model and year. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12....html?page=202
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 19:21   #18

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Once a two stroke motor is out of warranty, you should abandon the oil injection and go back to the old hand mixing of oil with gasoline. Once the injection fails, you cook the pistons and usually the crank, and are just left with a nice anchor.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 20:18   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Once a two stroke motor is out of warranty, you should abandon the oil injection and go back to the old hand mixing of oil with gasoline. Once the injection fails, you cook the pistons and usually the crank, and are just left with a nice anchor.
The more I thing about it, the more I like that idea. Assuming the alarm is from the oil system. We got along just fine for about 80 years, mixing oil with the gasoline. Best to check with a good outboard mechanic, though, if the manual doesnt say anything about it. (it won;t. They want you to buy a new motor.)
Old 21-07-2017, 18:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve View Post
Hello,
I need your help, and I can not understand the cause of the malfunction.
I have a Mercury 90hp 3cyl two strokes, the alarm rings continue after 5 minutes in normal progress. The mechanical changed the new water pump (impeller) new thermostat, new temperature sensor.
Any of the sensors were changed as we thought it might be defective, but it continued, we reinstalled the new sensors. We've been in the sea without thermostat and without temperature sensor, the whistle continues.
I do not know what to do, thank you for help, please.

The motor does not enter safe mode. Always has power.

Sorry my bad inglish, google translator.
I had an alarm on mine and it was water in the fuel manager. open the drain plug and let water out until the fuel comes out. Tighten the plug and try it.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury