Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 13:35   #91

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Mercury 3.5 HP Outboard Junk?

Is this the same as a Mere 3.3 two stroke?

That's what I have, probably about 1996 model year. I always believed it was the same as the 3.5 "Tohatsu" sold by others, but for some reason Mercury labelled it as 3.3 hp. At any rate, other than the cowling, looked just like my 2.5 Nissan.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:54   #92

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Premium is fine, but isn’t any less likely to contain ETH in most States, although some do allow Premium to be alcohol free, depends on of course where you buy it.
I’ve been told that premium rated gasoline (high octane) in Canada are ethanol-free. Some preliminary research confirms this, but there seems to be some ambiguity on the official sites.
Old 10-08-2018, 19:09   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Mercury 3.5 HP Outboard Junk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve been told that premium rated gasoline (high octane) in Canada are ethanol-free. Some preliminary research confirms this, but there seems to be some ambiguity on the official sites.

Could be, that is true in some US States, and not all that many States actually mandate ETH.
I know the Chevron “Jobber” in the town I used to live in, ETH is difficult cause it can’t be in the pipeline, it has to be trucked and he would then blend it in as the gas came out of the pipeline.
He delivered fuel to Farms, construction sites etc. and all fuel he delivered was ETH free. According to him to switch over to Ethanol fuel meant the tanks had to be cleaned, new hoses put on and new pumps too, and his customers were not going to pay for that.
According to him, the break even point for Ethanol was fuel at $4 a gallon, I think that along with the labor, trucking costs etc was what Ethanol costs, so if gasoline is $3 a gallon, your losing money adding in Ethanol. Now it is an octane booster so maybe there is some savings there.

Were it not for the big corn lobby and a few other organizations that make money from it, I believe ETH would go away, just like it did in the 1980’s when it was called Gasahol, remember Gasahol?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:16   #94

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

I've got the Mercury 3.5 two stroke you're asking about. I love. I've had some issues starting in the winter. The trick I find works well is to start it for just a few seconds out of the water, then drop it into the water. I don't need to do this in the summer but when the water temperature is below 16, I find this works well. You just want some heat in the cylinder that isn't quickly taken away by the cold water.

One item I don't like is the 'bolt' used to keep the engine in the angled position. Then thing you use to keep the prop off the ground when your pulling the boat on land. Its made of a weak aluminium and didn't last a year. It bends out of shape from vibrations and stresses when towing the dingy. I've replaced it with a SS one.
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:34   #95

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What is most likely keeping your engine trouble free, is your running it dry before you put it away.
Premium is fine, but isn’t any less likely to contain ETH in most States, although some do allow Premium to be alcohol free, depends on of course where you buy it.
What is interesting is you don’t seem to hear the carburetor horror stories about the little Honda generators, and those except for the new ones are difficult to run dry.
I drain the carb on mine, but doubt most do.

Carburetor wise, the four stroke is likely to be more problematic than a two stroke, carb and jets seem smaller and presumably the oil in the fuel on a two stroke likely acts to preserve the fuel to some extent, I know some of the oils advertise that they have fuel preservative in them
If you have a Union 76 station nearby, they sell ethanol free gas, as do many of the marinas in my area. If you use ethanol free gas, run it dry after usage, and run a mix of gas plus a double dose of stabilizer plus an ounce of two stroke oil through it before putting it away for the winter you won't have any problems with most any engine.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:36   #96

I like my tohatsu 3.5 it starts first pull everytime.
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury, outboard