Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 11:04   #31

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Mercedes diesels

Apologies, I was trying to help GTom with his enquiry.
I agree with your comments on the straight 6, I owned a car with the straight 6 diesel 3.0 litre (300D) beautiful engine, one of the smoothest diesels ever without race balancing sold with 350,000 miles on the clock and an 250E which had the 5 cylinder 2.5 diesel, after 430,000 miles the body gave up but the engine lives on in another car.
I currently drive a E320 V 6 diesel but I think the old straight 6 was a tad smoother.

Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 12:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
GTo,
Before you purchase check on marine parts for that motor, like water cooled exhaust and exhaust elbow. The VW/Pathfinder 1500 went obsolete because the exhaust and water pumps were no longer available. I ended up retrofitting both water pumps to keep mine going for a couple more years.
I'll indeed do so. The top 3 candidates now have Yanmar 39 (don't know yet which one), Perkins M35 and Mercedes (636). Fortunately none are Volvo-infested anymore.

Old 13-01-2018, 13:58   #33

GTom, based purely on my own experience I would either go for a rebuilt OM636 40hp, or a Perkins 4236 80hp which is currently still in production (depending on your pocket). I've had poor experience with Yanmar engines (2) which after servicing began to smoke, despite following every Yanmar recommendation continued to smoke until finally we got fed up and the boat was sold. The Perkins Perama was built originally as a car engine for British Leyland, some were also used in taxi's.
Anyone with a Perkins can get OEM spares and rebuild kits from sales@parts4engines.com
I hope you find this helpful.
Old 14-01-2018, 03:51   #34

Wow, that's the first time I am advised against Yanmar.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:36   #35

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The older pre-turbo Mercedes diesels are bulletproof with proper/normal maintenance. Simple in design, easy to repair and very well constructed. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with a Mercedes engine. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 14-01-2018, 10:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The older pre-turbo Mercedes diesels are bulletproof with proper/normal maintenance. Simple in design, easy to repair and very well constructed. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with a Mercedes engine. Good luck and safe sailing.
Tough decision, other components of the boat bend me towards the yanmar-powered model but I'll take it into account.
Old 14-01-2018, 13:32   #37

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't know about the longevity of parts to marinize but the auto diesels from the '60s through the mid '80s were legendary for just getting broken in at 200,000 miles. Owned 2 300D turbos with over 200,000 miles that ran like tops, change the oil and filters as reccomended and the timing chain around 150,000 miles and they'd go forever. The Turbo Diesels were a little short lived than the unpressurized engines but still typically went multiple 6 figures. The engines longevities was the reason that they were the go to taxi in Europe and much of the world in the 190, 2XX and 300 N/A autos. The 4 cylinder diesels were also used in industrial applications like refrigerated trailers which is where a lot of the home brew conversions probably came from.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 02:19   #38

GTom.
I never advised against Yanmar, I simply related my experience with them.
As you know with every make you can get a rogue.
Old 15-01-2018, 02:41   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Itís in French Polynesia now

The down fall of Yanmar is you have to buy parts locally. You can't get them shipped to you unles your in a region that doesn't have a dealer. As well, I've found the most popular parts, like filters and belts are usually out of stock. But I found hat NAPA has a good replacement or that.
Also the Yanmar marine parts are expensive. Got 600 hours on my 3jh w/o a glitch.
Old 15-01-2018, 02:52   #40

Quote:
The down fall of Yanmar is you have to buy parts locally. You can't get them shipped to you unles your in a region that doesn't have a dealer. As well, I've found the most popular parts, like filters and belts are usually out of stock. But I found hat NAPA has a good replacement or that.
Also the Yanmar marine parts are expensive. Got 600 hours on my 3jh w/o a glitch.
Irrational maintenance/repair costs, limited parts availability are sufficient reasons for me to pursue other engines, even faults are rare. Obviously if the repower was up to me I'd go with a new Beta/Nanni or Sole.
Old 15-01-2018, 16:17   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Itís in French Polynesia now

Well, 8 years trouble free. I can't complain too much. Just an occasional oil change that takes 15 minutes.
Old 15-01-2018, 17:27   #42

Quote:
Well, 8 years trouble free. I can't complain too much. Just an occasional oil change that takes 15 minutes.
I think the 10+years/2000+hours age starts to become interesting with most engines. That't actually where I stand, the boats I am looking at are from the early 80's and about half of them were repowered 10-15-20 years ago. Obviously not going for a 15-20 year old Volvo
Old 16-01-2018, 05:47   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Irrational maintenance/repair costs, limited parts availability are sufficient reasons for me to pursue other engines, even faults are rare. Obviously if the repower was up to me I'd go with a new Beta/Nanni or Sole.
Not my experience with Yanmar. Parts are fairly expensive (less than Volvo but a lot more than parts at a tractor shop you can get for Beta/Nanni marinzed Kubota engines), but availability is superb -- they are available absolutely everywhere, and Yanmar requires a high level of stock at the distributors in exchange for their exclusive territories.

Does that make the price of parts worth it? I don't know. For a small boat which needs a simple engine, I would probably go with Nanni. But Yanmars are specifically designed as marine engines from the ground up, and have a lot of advantages, especially in the larger sizes. The 100 hp Yanmar in my boat is about half the size and weight of alternatives, and has been absolutely bulletproof over 3000 hours. It's now 17 years old. Cost of parts which are very rarely needed is not a big factor in the total cost of ownership. I will strongly consider a Yanmar for my next boat. Lugger (part of Northern Lights) marinized John Deeres are also supposed to be superb. YMMV.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:47   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not my experience with Yanmar. Parts are fairly expensive (less than Volvo but a lot more than parts at a tractor shop you can get for Beta/Nanni marinzed Kubota engines), but availability is superb -- they are available absolutely everywhere, and Yanmar requires a high level of stock at the distributors in exchange for their exclusive territories.

Does that make the price of parts worth it? I don't know. For a small boat which needs a simple engine, I would probably go with Nanni. But Yanmars are specifically designed as marine engines from the ground up, and have a lot of advantages, especially in the larger sizes. The 100 hp Yanmar in my boat is about half the size and weight of alternatives, and has been absolutely bulletproof over 3000 hours. It's now 17 years old. Cost of parts which are very rarely needed is not a big factor in the total cost of ownership. I will strongly consider a Yanmar for my next boat. Lugger (part of Northern Lights) marinized John Deeres are also supposed to be superb. YMMV.
True, haven't heard "Volvo-level horror stories" (just some customer service complaints and of course pricing...). At the end of the day it comes down to reliability and the $$$ question. More specific to my situation, which would you rather own: a well-kept 30 years old OM636 or an also well kept 15 years old 3JH3E?
Old 16-01-2018, 07:54   #45

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have had two Mercedes 300D's that went over 250k Miles. Great engines. Also had a 240D that died at 170k miles due to owner not keeping up with the oil.
What's the big deal about 250k miles.
I had a Honda Accord that had 250 when someone rear ended me one day and totaled the car. The Accord we have now has 280. We plan to go at least another 50k before replacing it. Both are 4 cyl.

Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote