Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 17:30   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Question MD2030 Anti-Freeze Leaks

One of my Volvo MD2030's is blowing antifreeze out the overflow vent at the fill cap. Antifreeze is being replaced by seawater and it is coming through the rubber "ear muff" cap on the forward end of the heat exchanger. I have tightened inner clamp (around round heat exchanger tube) as much as I dare, but seawater is still blowing through. I tried putting a thin layer of RTV silicone around heat exchanger tube before clamping, but no go. I replaced hose clamp with s/s wire via a clamping tool and that held better, but at 2700RPM the leak started again.

This is driving me nuts, because it seems like a simple design, but normal clamps won't keep the ocean out of my heat exchanger and I've wasted lots of anti freeze. Any ideas??
Old 23-01-2010, 16:33   #2

you have a cracked heat exchanger
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 04:22   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
My first thought was a faulty cap on the heat exchanger, but thinking further I agree the more dire diagnosis is the likely cause.... Hurry before the Volvo price increase in March......
Old 24-01-2010, 07:06   #4

Hi Mark, you might have a plugged exhaust elbow that's causing the back pressure. I just replaced mine at 3500 hrs and they were at least 50% plugged, good luck, mike on Exodus in sunny and warm Stuart.
mikemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 16:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
My first thought was a faulty cap on the heat exchanger, but thinking further I agree the more dire diagnosis is the likely cause.... Hurry before the Volvo price increase in March......
Mark, I finally got it fixed with the s/s wire clamping tool. There was nothing wrong with the heat exchanger since I cleaned and pressure tested it before we left on our cruise. I think it is just a bad design since there is no hose barb to clamp over just a smooth bronze pipe with no ridges on it. The clamping surface is less than 1/2". I reconfigured my sea water cooling from the saildrive to a new seacock right under the sea strainer. I'm getting better cooling, but lots more pressure to help pop off the earmuffs. We've gone from Islamorada to the central Exumas with my latest repair....so far so good.
Old 27-01-2010, 17:32   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Mark, I finally got it fixed with the s/s wire clamping tool. There was nothing wrong with the heat exchanger since I cleaned and pressure tested it before we left on our cruise. I think it is just a bad design since there is no hose barb to clamp over just a smooth bronze pipe with no ridges on it. The clamping surface is less than 1/2". I reconfigured my sea water cooling from the saildrive to a new seacock right under the sea strainer. I'm getting better cooling, but lots more pressure to help pop off the earmuffs. We've gone from Islamorada to the central Exumas with my latest repair....so far so good.
Good news Greg!

Hey - I didn't know you were out & about! We're leaving Naples for Marathon tomorrow morning. Considering the Bahamas before too long but want to do the Tortugas first. What are your plans? Hope we can cross paths sometime soon.
Old 28-01-2010, 04:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Good news Greg!

Hey - I didn't know you were out & about! We're leaving Naples for Marathon tomorrow morning. Considering the Bahamas before too long but want to do the Tortugas first. What are your plans? Hope we can cross paths sometime soon.
Hey Mark, Have a great cruise. We plan to stay in Bahamas till late April or early May and then stop at Key West for a few weeks on the way home. If you're still in the Keys then maybe we can have a couple sundowners?

Tags
leaks, md2030