Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 12:15   #1

Boat: Moody 45 DS
Maxpower VIP 150 bow thruster failure. Help!

Does anyone have first hand experience with this unit? Looking for helpful suggestions short of replace it with their favorite brand.

We just returned to our sailboat in Greece. After nearly two years on the hard I expected to find some issues. First, dead batteries were replaced x 7. They are now all strong and being maintained on shore power. Next I started testing out the electric system. Everything is fine except the bow thruster.

This is a retractable unit, or used to be. For years it has been reliable. Now it retracts to within 1/2 inch of its resting position. It does not quite reach the “up” proximity switch. There is no marine growth blocking the way. It does deploy fully, touching the “down” proximity switch. But, the propeller will not spin in either direction in response to the toggle switch. Again, there is no marine growth to obstruct and the blade can be rotated by hand.

Fuses, breakers, the switch panel, and the large on/off rotating switch are fine. Power is reaching the unit.

The large bank of fresh house batteries is proving plenty of current via very large gauge wires (there is no remote battery in the bow). For example, the windlass picked up 90 meters of chain off the ground without a shrug.

Technicians are scheduled to come out from Athens at the end of the week, but we had hoped to launch sooner.

Any helpful ideas are welcome!!
Desert Spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 04:36   #2

Re: Maxpower VIP 150 bow thruster failure. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Spray View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience with this unit? Looking for helpful suggestions short of replace it with their favorite brand.

We just returned to our sailboat in Greece. After nearly two years on the hard I expected to find some issues. First, dead batteries were replaced x 7. They are now all strong and being maintained on shore power. Next I started testing out the electric system. Everything is fine except the bow thruster.

This is a retractable unit, or used to be. For years it has been reliable. Now it retracts to within 1/2 inch of its resting position. It does not quite reach the “up” proximity switch. There is no marine growth blocking the way. It does deploy fully, touching the “down” proximity switch. But, the propeller will not spin in either direction in response to the toggle switch. Again, there is no marine growth to obstruct and the blade can be rotated by hand.

Fuses, breakers, the switch panel, and the large on/off rotating switch are fine. Power is reaching the unit.

The large bank of fresh house batteries is proving plenty of current via very large gauge wires (there is no remote battery in the bow). For example, the windlass picked up 90 meters of chain off the ground without a shrug.

Technicians are scheduled to come out from Athens at the end of the week, but we had hoped to launch sooner.

Any helpful ideas are welcome!!

After a good night’s sleep I returned to the boatyard hoping to have a moment of clarity. Still no idea why it won’t operate normally. Technicians are scheduled to drive over from Athens Thursday AM. I’ll be sure to respond on this thread with what they find as a result of nearly 2 years without use.
Old 17-08-2021, 05:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Since you are not getting more knowledgeable responses…..

First question….
Does the power shut off or not?

IOW is it’s motion stopped because the power goes away or because something shuts off the power?

IOW is it mechanically blocked or is it a control issue?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 05:35   #4

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I’d say it is most likely a mechanical issue with the up/down mechanism. After not being used for two years, you may find some rust or remaining ocean growth. I would lower it all the way down. Flush it really well and inspect for any rust or foreign debris. Lubricate with penetrating oil and operate up. Repeat this few times and see if it changes the elevated level you get.
These BT type are known to have issues both ways and although a great idea, are a pain to maintain vs. the standard tunnel installations.
Best of luck!
Old 17-08-2021, 05:38   #5

Thank you for your response.

It appears to be a control issue, at least for operating the propeller. The unit makes its usual two chirps sound when fully deployed into the down position, yet the propeller motor does not respond to the left-right toggle switch. The proximity switch has an led which glows confirming contact is made. This should signal to the computer that it is safe to activate the propeller.

The failure of the unit to retract fully into the up position could be a control issue or mechanical, such as resistance at the seal through which the drive unit telescopes. I had an assistant on the ground manually push up on the unit as it retracted, but it did not help it reach closed position.

I hope the Maxpower technicians bring everything they need to fix the problem so we can launch.
Old 17-08-2021, 06:06   #6

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Well, the prop dysfunction is a new piece of information. It could be related or not…

Anyway - as you have technicians coming, you’ll hopefully have a solution. Better than being on a remote island - where a bow thruster isn’t needed but other issues could be a real game stopper.
Old 17-08-2021, 09:55   #7

I guess the up switch is the culpritt
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 10:39   #8

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

I used to have a VIP150 on my previous boat.

For the prop to work in the down position the proximity sensor needs to be activated (seems to be OK for your unit) AND the main motor must not be overheating. The overheat sensor fails very frequently and then the prop won't work regardless of the motor temperature. You can temporarily disconnect the two yellow wires in the control box labelled MOTOR HEAT on the PCB (the wires are possibly white on some units). These wires are on the terminal block top left of the control box when the cable to the joystick control head is at the top of the control box.

For the retraction mechanism, my experience was that lack of lubrication caused sticking. Working the unit up and down with some copper grease on the column helped in my situation. Could be other issues (eg a bent column) but it's most likely to be friction between the column and its housing.

I can send you a VIP150 manual if you need one.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:54   #9

This is very helpful. Thank you!
The temperature switch malfunction idea may be right on target. It’s been very very hot this summer in Greece. Maybe the boat is telling me it needs to cool off in the water!
The column appeared to be well greased. But I can only see the section above the seal. I cleaned the column and reapplied marine grease. I’ve cycled it up and down multiple times since.
I’ll reply on this thread the findings of the technicians as I’ve committed to the service call.
Thanks again.
Old 19-08-2021, 07:21   #10

So the technicians came out from Athens. Neither spoke much English. They repeatedly cycled the bow thruster up and down and managed to massage it back to its retracted position. The up proximity switch was replaced. Then they “reset” the electronics. Now the bow thruster seems to be operating normally. We launch tomorrow! Hopefully I won’t be adding to this thread. 🤞
Old 19-08-2021, 07:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Were you able to figure out what they did besides grease and grunt?
Old 19-08-2021, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Were you able to figure out what they did besides grease and grunt?

They were both quite nice and polite. Clean. Loud talking and many phone calls. There was no significant disassembly of the unit or disconnecting of the numerous connection blocks surrounding the computer unit mounted near the bow thruster. I did not see a multimeter in use or other high tech gadgets. I did lend them some basic tools, however.
The bottom line is that I I really did not learn exactly how to fix it should the problem recur. More job security for them.
Old 19-08-2021, 14:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe not.

They ran it back and forth and banged on it. Did not tough the control system beyond the proximity sensor.

Sounds like a mechanical thing. Had some grime in it they kind of ground out.

Beat of luck in the future.