Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2022, 11:23   #31

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Max Prop performance

Prop cavitation is caused by too small a blade area. There are several factors which drive how large a blade area is required for a specific boat. These include horsepower, the water speed at the prop (this is NOT the boat speed), the depth of the prop below the surface and prop efficiency.

I strongly suggest you buy a copy of Dave Gerr's "Propeller Handbook". It is written in an easy to understand way. It will be very unlikely that anybody on a forum can give you as accurate advice as you can give yourself by buying this book, going to the part about cavitation, measuring your own boat and calculating what you need. These calcs are simple, you don't need to be a technical guy to do them. And you will get an accurate answer.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 13:26   #32

Boat: Nauticat 44

RE contacting PYI: I believe that they are closed the week between Christmas and New Year.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 14:49   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I agree with " the Propellor Handbook" as authored by Dave Gerr. It's a marvel of a book for anyone interested in prop performance and selection...

Using the book, you can even do your own math calculus to determine a prop size for your boat. This will take about a half dozen sheets of paper, but the end result will have little room for failure.

Most people go " math calculus"....whoa, not my thing.....think I'll got to the CF and pick some brains".. but do yourself a favor and get the book !!
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote