Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:19   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Marelon Vented loop suitable for exhaust?

I need to replace the vented loop in my engine's exhaust and am considering using a forespar marelon loop. The existing vented loop is stainless and the antisiphon valve on it shot so it end up dripping a little sea water on the exhast. If not Marelon suggestions for other suitable vented loop for exhaust is welcome.

Thanks,
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45   #2

Re: Marelon Vented loop suitable for exhaust?

I have seen a small (1/2") hose attached where your 'shot' valve is located; the hose is led to a cockpit drain and spills into the drain - gives you an air vent at the top of the loop and provides a visual on if the exhaust is working
micheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59   #3

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: Marelon Vented loop suitable for exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck View Post
I have seen a small (1/2") hose attached where your 'shot' valve is located; the hose is led to a cockpit drain and spills into the drain - gives you an air vent at the top of the loop and provides a visual on if the exhaust is working

Thanks but not easily workable in my boat. There was from the builder a hose attached to the vented loop that lead to a small barbed discharge in the hull right next to the actual exhast but it was not in use when I got the boat. When the vent in the vented loop failed and started leaking seawater onto the exhaust I replaced the broken fitting with a barb and ran a new length of hose but there is no flapper valve in the loop now so when the engine is running water is peeing out the overboard discharge in addition to the exhaust.

Its not an entirely bad scenario running the vent line overboard like this but the problem is twofold. One: I still should have a flapper valve of some sort in the vented loop and two: I dont like the vent being so close to the waterline. My exhaust discharges from the strbd side just above the waterline so I can envision a scenario where sailing hard on port tack the siphon break could allow water to flow into my exhaust and potentially flood the engine. My surveyor recommended a proper vented loop with a flapper valve and a short length of hose that runs to the bilge so the siphon could always be broken by sucking air.

I dont think I neccesarily need the hose run to the bilge as long as I have a decent vented loop with a functioning flapper I should not be seeing any leaks. Afterall these same loops are used in head discharges and they dont leak sewage.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust