Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 06:40   #1

Manual vs electric fuel lifting pump

Hi all,

I have a Yanmar 4JH4E 54 HP diesel on a 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey with a manual lifting pump for my fuel. I ran into fuel filter issues and going to replace the existing primary fuel with a new Rancor filter placed in a more visible place. I'm also considering replacing the manual lifting pump with an electric, thereby bypassing the fuel line bleeding issues.

Any downsides on going to an electric lifting pump?
Easc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 19:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Manual vs electric fuel lifting pump

No. It makes bleeding much easier. It can be wired via your key, just put a remote switch near where you bleed.
I have a power boat with 4 engines. All have an electric.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 21:44   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Carter makes a great vane pump found on everything from aircraft to reefer containers. Not a jerk pump. About $100 but worth it. There is a small screen inside. Rubber mounts so it’s quiet too. Beware of copies.
Manatee approved.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 23:50   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

An electric fuel pump means that if you have an electrical problem the engine won"t run. Granted that is a very unlikely situation.

A simpler solution is to put a squeeze ball primer bulb in your fuel line. Like what you see on outboard motor fuel tanks. Much faster to fill your fuel filter when changing it and no electrical connection needed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:04   #5

A squeeze ball is not going to help if your on engine fuel lift pump quits.
A carter pump takes a lot of the strain off the main pump.
We didn’t disconnect the main lift pump. So we see two potential failures. One, you have no electrical power and two, at the same time, the main lift pump breaks. Ok so now I sit one of the manatees inside the engine room and tell them to keep squeezing. Sorry, but my crew is in a union and no way that will happen.
We’ve seen...lots...of fuel lift pump failures. It’s always at the worse time.
If you have a carter pump, you can flip a switch and run. They are incredibly reliable. Almost ever refrigerated sea container uses them. Almost all refrigerated trailers and a lot of small aircraft.
The only downside is that they are not FDA approved to pump beer otherwise the manatees would insist we have several “spares” onboard.
Happy trails to you.
Mark
Old 11-07-2022, 06:40   #6

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

You don't "replace" the manual lift pump with an electric pump, you simply add an electric pump in the fuel line before the manual pump (and before any fuel filters). The electric pump will pump through the manual pump and will not damage it. If the electric pump quits (or you forget to turn it on), the engine will run fine on it's own manual pump, pulling fuel through the electric pump. It really is an ideal set up. I've added electric fuel pumps to every diesel I've owned. Makes changing fuel filters and the occasional engine bleeding MUCH easier! I've found the FR-series Walbro pumps to be very reliable. They're self priming and can run dry without damage. Just pick the voltage, flow rate and pressure needed for your engine. Most are about $200 or less. Depco Pumps is a great source.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:18   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

One consideration on electric pumps is the specs of the engine the pump is feeding fuel to. In my case, I discovered that my Beta 35 has very specific restrictions on the pressure an electric pump can generate when feeding fuel to the engine. I had to find a much lower pressure pump than the one I used for the old Westerbeke engine to be compatible. I did find it, installed it, and it works great. I have both the lift pump and electric pump. The electric is mainly for a) making bleeding easier, and b) to do fuel polishing while sailing.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:40   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Another + for the Carter pumps.
There are several models in the 4000 series, IIRC some of them are not rated for diesel, although that might have changed, wouldn't hurt to give them a shout.
They are rather noisy, but their compact dimensions and easy mounting are good features for a boat.
Yes, an electric pump should be wired with a separate switch for use only when needed; purging/priming, or engine lift pump failure.
If one has the space, (and extra money,) the Stewart Warner pumps are also an excellent choice, the #s 82089 and 82095 are diesel rated.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easc View Post
Hi all,

I have a Yanmar 4JH4E 54 HP diesel on a 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey with a manual lifting pump for my fuel. I ran into fuel filter issues and going to replace the existing primary fuel with a new Rancor filter placed in a more visible place. I'm also considering replacing the manual lifting pump with an electric, thereby bypassing the fuel line bleeding issues.

hey Easc
this is a bit of an unusual approach, I blocked the venthose of the tank and made an adapter on an air mattress pump to fit the fuel intake and put some pressure on the tank It does work
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:47   #10

Quote:
Hi all,

Electric is nice to have available, but I prefer the engine manual pump really.
I have NEVER had an issue with one in 40+ years of boating.
I have had electrics installed for fuel service and backup. But never have been wild about the electric pump running continually when motoring and relying on it alone.
Most electrics will allow fuel flow through them even when not on. On one boat I created a side loop for the electric with two 3 way valves, so I could use it optionally if necessary. I was worried about causing any additional effort to the engine manual pump.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:13   #11

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Yanmar 4JH4E 54 HP diesel on a 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey with a manual lifting pump for my fuel.

I'm really unclear on what "manual" means in this context.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:51   #12

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
I'm really unclear on what "manual" means in this context.
Most of these Manual pumps have a lever to operate them.
I believe, this is the reference mentioned.
There are non lever types as well.
Camshaft or pumpshaft operated.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 13:59   #13

Thanks for the insights. Based on the feedback, I'm leaning towards going with the electric pump. I like to keep things simple and non-electric as much as possible, but using the lever on manual lifting pump has proved to be a challenge to get all the air bled out for me. If my ignition screws up I lose my power to my pump. That's a pretty rare happening and I got a bigger problem that air in the lines.

When I refer to a "manual" lifting pump, I'm referring to the lever actuated pumping of the diesel into the fuel lines.

Thanks, again!
Easc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:09   #14

We’ve seen numerous manual fuel pump failures. The internal rubber parts fail or they get stuck open and can’t prime or develop pressure. It takes time to pull them off the motor and of course you have to have a spare onboard.
Then there is the joy of visiting your doctor and discussing the injury to your thumb from pumping the little lever a hundred times.
The cost of the visit equals the cost of an electric pump.
Mark
Old 12-07-2022, 09:12   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
We’ve seen numerous manual fuel pump failures. The internal rubber parts fail or they get stuck open and can’t prime or develop pressure. It takes time to pull them off the motor and of course you have to have a spare onboard.
Then there is the joy of visiting your doctor and discussing the injury to your thumb from pumping the little lever a hundred times.
The cost of the visit equals the cost of an electric pump.
Mark
I have been sailing for 50+ years. About 40 of those with inboard engines. Haven't had a mechanical pump failure yet.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fuel, lift, pump