Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 19:13   #1

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
MAKE Borg-Warner stick in forward gear

Yers, you'vĕ read correctly, I want to MAKE this automatic transmission stick in gear, welll particularly the clutch of course!

First, the jet drive dingy was stuck in forward, only it wasn't really an issue, since I could use the the "bucket" on the drive as gears by directing the jet drive output, even though I suspect thre may have been some slippage at the top end. It had run out of oil and there was water in it. I ran it in this format for a while, before I elected to put oil in again,

Now the gears have started working again, but the transmission is slipping massively in forward,

The transmission is corroded into one rusty red lump, I cannot even see half of the bolts, and this particular boat is due for remotorization anyaway,, I'n definitely not overhauling this dinosaur trash technology with forumloads of issues wherever I look to redo the clutch!

I may be convinced to check on hydraulic pressure but alone finding and/or opening the screw on that valve,,,

So, and I know this might prove controversial, I'd like to make this drive lock in forward gear, and yes, ideally permanently and without slippage.

Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2022, 06:29   #2

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber
Re: MAKE Borg-Warner stick in forward gear

Dude, That is one of the most reliable and proven marine transmissions on the planet. They only fail from abuse or neglect and it takes a lot.

It is not an 'automatic transmission'. It has clutch discs that compress with hydro pressure. There is not a way to lock it into gear unless you heat up the clutch plates and they literally weld together. So... if it slips in FWD, just run up the RPM for a few minutes, the clutch discs will heat up, weld together, and it will be stuck in forward. If the oil is black and smelly, you have succeeded in your quest.

Best advice is to give it to someone that understands transmissions and let them rebuild it. That gear is good for 10k hours if treated properly. I would venture a guess that your "rusty lump" has not been.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My second boat had that Borg-Warner hydraulic box.....you can't lock it.

The prop would spin and that B-W would just hum away.....driving me crazy...

I finally resorted to fitting a feathering max-prop.....bliss at last
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:51   #4

Quote:
So... if it slips in FWD, just run up the RPM for a few minutes, the clutch discs will heat up, weld together, and it will be stuck in forward. If the oil is black and smelly, you have succeeded in your quest.
Hi boys, thanks for the response. As I said, it had been locked in forward and then loosened up again, and is now slipping. I want it locked beause I dont need a transmission on this boat
Old 10-03-2022, 06:47   #5

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

MicHughV, He's looking for a different result.

He literally wants to permanently lockup the FWD transmission plates. Making it always in forward gear. No neutral or reverse.

Back into the day, we would call this a pointer boat. Because you had to point the boat where you wanted to go before starting the engine.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Did the same. Boat originally came with a hydraulic shaft lock linked the BW but it died and too much hassle to repair. After a few trips listening to the prop free wheel right under my head all night (aft cabin boat) I finally got a folding prop. So happy now.

To the OP, yes this is a hydraulic transmission with clutch disks in it. If it's slipping then the disks are bad, the hydraulics are bad or fluid low. Don't know about melting the clutch disks together but worth a try. What have you got to lose?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 16:08   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Why not do away with the transmission altogether ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 03:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
To the OP, yes this is a hydraulic transmission with clutch disks in it. If it's slipping then the disks are bad, the hydraulics are bad or fluid low. Don't know about melting the clutch disks together but worth a try. What have you got to lose?
Yes, well, how do I melt them together?

By the way as I explained in my original post, this wont be a pointer boat (I've had that before also, thanks for giving me a term for that!), since the jet drive nozzle is used to direct flow (fw/bw)
Old 26-05-2022, 03:19   #9

pirate Re: MAKE Borg-Warner stick in forward gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
It is not an 'automatic transmission'. It has clutch discs that compress with hydro pressure. There is not a way to lock it into gear unless you heat up the clutch plates and they literally weld together. So... if it slips in FWD, just run up the RPM for a few minutes, the clutch discs will heat up, weld together, and it will be stuck in forward. If the oil is black and smelly, you have succeeded in your quest.
That doesn't do the job annoyingly.. perhaps without trans oil?
Old 20-08-2022, 07:31   #10

If I run it without oil, it will obviously not enter forward gear since there is no oil pressure- I should probably run it on mostly water again (that's how it got stuck in fwd originally) to get it to overheat in gear. Opinions? Thanks! °

Tags
gear