Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 16:26   #1

Boat: Capital Yachts Newport 28-2
M18 Universal Diesel Hard to Start?

I recently bought my first boat, a 1988 Newport 28-2 which is powered by an Universal M18. She's currently stuck in the boat yard waiting on new chainplates, so I haven't taken her out yet.

Two weeks ago I went to the yard, where she is in the water, and tried to crank the engine. Once I figured out the glow plug, she cranked up after 2 or 3 5 second "cranks". I went back this weekend, and tried to crank the engine again, and she wouldn't start after ~10 5 second cranks. I used the glow plug for 30-45 seconds several times with no improvement.

The boat was delivered via tractor trailer after I bought it. Is it possible this stirred up sediment in the fuel, and I need to check the fuel filter and consider cleaning the tank?

How common are starting problems on older boats? The boat is in very good shape for its age. With my limited experience, I'd hate to have to dock her without power in anything but the most favorable conditions.

Is there anything I should do besides check the fuel system to help improve starting reliability?
SolNola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 16:39   #2

Re: M18 Universal Diesel Hard to Start?

Fuel problems are certainly a possibility.

However, how confident are you that the glow plugs are actually working? I think this is one of the Universal engines that had the infamous trailer plug problem, and if you still have the original cabling between panel and the engine, I'm here to tell you that it's a matter of pure luck whether any voltage is getting to the right place. Also bad glow plugs at that age are common.

https://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/...arness_upgrade

It should never take even 5s of cranking. My 5424 fires up within 0.5s of hitting the start button.

On the subject of fuel, what I would do is install new fuel filters, and bleed the fuel system up to the injectors.
Old 01-04-2019, 17:18   #3

Interesting idea about the glow plug. I'm not certain it was working at all. That's the first place I'll look.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:50   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Glow plugs are really simple to check with a multimeter set to ohms. I checked mine 2 years ago and all were failed. You should see very low resistance (mine spec at 0.5 ohms) when probing between terminal and body. So you can check them while still in block.

If it were me I'd just replace them as they are very inexpensive. Appears the M18 is based on the Kubota Z600 block and that crosses over to a NGK Y-103V glow plug.

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-Y103V-Glo...r=8-1-fkmrnull

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/hort...nes&model=Z600

And here's a primer on how to test, page 14

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Glow%20Plugs%20QA.pdf

You may not have fuel issues but I'd be suspicious of it anyways. Might as well tackle that to the best of your abilities and ensure that your fuel delivery system is as clean as you can get it. That effort is never wasted. I replaced all my lines, opened up the tank, hose clamps, filters etc.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:24   #5

In my case a Westerbeke 21 can be hard to start when cold. If all systems are working, fuel and filters good and still hard to start when cold try this: with throttle 3/4 to full position ,hold glow plugs on for 18 to 20 seconds, then turn the key to start. This may not be the case for your engine but for my engine that is the cold starting sequence, when hot it starts immediately at the idle position. Just after I purchased my boat the previous owner said he would use "either " to start it up, after he said that I almost had a heart attack DON'T USE EITHER as a starting aid .We've owned the boat for 10 years now and the engine is fine.
GeoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:01   #6

Ether?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Ether?

Never!!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:13   #8

Boat: Casacde 36

First thing; is it cranking FAST enough? If the batteries are down, or the starter is not up to snuff, it will do as you have noticed; crank for a while, but not fire.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:19   #9

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

I have had the identical boat, year and make, for over 20 years and have been amazed at how well the engine performs. Those few times when I've had trouble starting was due to low voltage, so I agree with the others that suggest you check the electrics, starting with the batteries. If the boat has been sitting for an extended period they may (will) need charging. Lately, I have also had to give it 1/2 throttle when starting. I have my filters change annually, but fuel line issues are a possibility. The fuel tank may also need cleaning and the fuel polished.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:20   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
First thing; is it cranking FAST enough? If the batteries are down, or the starter is not up to snuff, it will do as you have noticed; crank for a while, but not fire.
Excellent point. Was the starter battery at full charge for the second starting attempt? Is the battery in good condition? Storage and limited use are hard on batteries.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02   #11

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Budget View Post
I have had the identical boat, year and make, for over 20 years and have been amazed at how well the engine performs. Those few times when I've had trouble starting was due to low voltage, so I agree with the others that suggest you check the electrics, starting with the batteries. If the boat has been sitting for an extended period they may (will) need charging. Lately, I have also had to give it 1/2 throttle when starting. I have my filters change annually, but fuel line issues are a possibility. The fuel tank may also need cleaning and the fuel polished.
great post... same here 1985 Catalina 27 with that engine..... the best!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03   #12

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Excellent point. Was the starter battery at full charge for the second starting attempt? Is the battery in good condition? Storage and limited use are hard on batteries.
good answer.... diesel needs a lot of compression = fast cranking with good batteries!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18   #13

Boat: Valiant 32

Had the same problem on my 5424, was the connection of the cable going to the first glow plug, cleaned up the connection and off she went. Use 15 to 20 secs glow and 1/4 throttle
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Batteries are brand new and are being maintained with shore power. I don't think it has a dedicated starter battery.

Next weekend I'll check the glow plugs with my multi meter and inspect the wiring. The wiring harness (as much as I have seen) looked updated, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for the help and suggestions, everyone.
Old 02-04-2019, 16:51   #15

Try checking the actual voltage at the glow plugs while pressing the button. It shouldn't drop too much from 12.7V. Maybe 1V?

When my voltage was passing through the unnecessary 12ft of dodgy undersized wire and two crap quality trailer plugs, it was dropping a lot more than that.

Tags
diesel