Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 06:23   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Lubricant for prop shaft support (on-board)

I need help.
My boat had a 1.5” shaft which has a long length inboard, about 72” from stuffing box to coupler.
Approximately midway along this length is a “support bearing” it is a 2piece block with a grease nipple on top.
I need to know what grease is best suited to this purpose.
Thanks
Rowglide
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 11:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Lubricant for prop shaft support (on-board)

Any good quality grease, probably lithium based.
One sold at auto shops for wheel bearings or CV joints would be fine.
I like “marine waterproof” grease myself, that way I feel good about using the same grease to grease the outboard and my prop which requires greasing.
I use synthetic “Green grease” but as I said any good quality grease is good
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:19   #3

Re: Lubricant for prop shaft support (on-board)

Years ago I owned a couple of Tartan 30s, and they had a similar arrangement with a steady bearing about midway along the shaft. Originally these were split pillowblock bearings with babbet bearing material. The grease recommended by Tartan was " Lubriplate water pump grease" a fairly light white grease. The grease was fed to the bearing with a manual grease cup. As the bearing had some wear, it took a twist on the grease cup every few hours to keep the bearing quiet.

Later I replaced the babbet bearing with a ball bearing pillowblock, and swapped over the grease cup to the new bearing. Then I went to waterproof wheel bearing grease and gave the bearing a shot of grease every couple of weeks. This worked great. No noise or vibration and the slight layer of grease prevented any rust from forming.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote