Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2008, 15:59   #1

Low Operating Temp

Guys, I spent a couple more hours looking at the fresh water side of my cooling system yesterday. It bothers me that my temp gauge still reads 130ish when it should be 160-180. It also bothers me that after replacing the petcock, I still can't get coolant to spew out when the engine is running. I started down the path that there must not be enough water pressure. That could explain the petcock and might explain the low reading. That is, maybe the temperature sender mounted in the thermostat housing is not being covered in fluid.

Well, I traced the hoses coming off the thermostat housing... the thermostat bypass hose is not connected to the output of the water pump. The output of the water pump runs through a heat exchanger inside a defunct water heater, to an auxialliary cabin heater, and then back to the thermostat housing. This would seem to be a very problematic setup. Wouldn't having this huge amount of extra run and head pressure seriously degrade the output of the water pump? Couldn't this also easily introduce air in to the system? Could this not explain why nothing comes out of the open petcock and why the temp gauge also reads low? Is this a typical setup for water heaters and cabin heaters?

Thanks!
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 17:04   #2

the cooling system should be simplified. Then test run again. Remind me the engine? it's a Universal what?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 17:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
the cooling system should be simplified. Then test run again. Remind me the engine? it's a Universal what?
Universal M18
Old 30-03-2008, 17:25   #4

It won't degrade the water pump. It will start slipping when it can't push any more. Does the water heater have water in it? this can be an additional heat sink.
I'd first pull the cooling system back to the engine only and see what happens.
Old 30-03-2008, 17:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
It won't degrade the water pump. It will start slipping when it can't push any more. Does the water heater have water in it? this can be an additional heat sink.
I'd first pull the cooling system back to the engine only and see what happens.
I don't know if the water heater has water in it... I assume it does but I haven't messed with it yet. Do you know if the Atwood EHM6 needs to be specially filled or if it fills automagically when the water pressure pump is turned on? I have no manuals so I have no clue. I just know the water never heats up. I'm going to bypass the water heater and the cabin heater next weekend. I have no need for the cabin heater in Houston anyway
Old 30-03-2008, 17:43   #6

all domestic water heaters should self fill when the water system is pressurized.
Old 31-03-2008, 05:12   #7

I did't see any coolant leaking out around the heaters... Do you think the impeller in the fresh water pump is failing? Also, I did not use gasket sealant on the paper gasket where the thermostat housing attaches. There aren't any leaks that I can see but is it possible I'm loosing pressure there? The service manual says to use non-drying gasket sealant (whatever that is) on one side of the paper gasket.....
Old 07-04-2008, 16:58   #8

I yanked the water heater and disconnected the auxilliary cabin heater. I couldn't make the cooling lines factory but I did shorten the run a ton. Now, coolant exits at the petcock. I believe when I get the proper parts to make the lines factory stock, It'll be good as new.

Thanks!