Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2020, 17:50   #1

Boat: Yamaha, 33', Tall Rig
looking for Diesel Schools Florida

I recently relocated to Pompano Beach

I am looking to learn how to rebuild Perkins Diesel Engines I am in South East Florida
I Have the time and think this a growth opportunity, of course there are other brands.
I think focusing on older models is worth the time if I can learn to end with a proper functioning engine at a good price.
Hudsonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: looking for Diesel Schools Florida

With no responses answering your direct question, let me suggest that you consider a different route to your goal. Collect the relevant books, starting perhaps with Nigel Calder and the service manual for the Perkins. Then buy a clapped out or otherwise dead engine, and rebuild it. Stay in touch with a diesel mechanic who can act as a consultant when you hit a brick wall. Work at your own pace. Don't quit your day job. Buy the tools you need as you need them.

The total price may be less than school, and your learning will be more focused on what you don't know about the engine you want to know.

There may just not be the school you hope for in your location. If so, there are other ways to skin the cat.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:45   #3

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Buy the maintenance manual for your engine and read it carefully. Make sure you have the needed tools; including special tools.
You can do it. Its not that hard.
There is no rocket science or magic inside of that engine. It is just nuts and bolts put together by people.
You can do it.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:20   #4

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
With no responses answering your direct question, let me suggest that you consider a different route to your goal. Collect the relevant books, starting perhaps with Nigel Calder and the service manual for the Perkins. Then buy a clapped out or otherwise dead engine, and rebuild it. Stay in touch with a diesel mechanic who can act as a consultant when you hit a brick wall. Work at your own pace. Don't quit your day job. Buy the tools you need as you need them.

The total price may be less than school, and your learning will be more focused on what you don't know about the engine you want to know.

There may just not be the school you hope for in your location. If so, there are other ways to skin the cat.
What tkeithlu said. I am doing this currently. Nothing like your own engine!

Both of Calder's books are good:
Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual
Marine Diesel Engines

CL in Florida (search the whole State about once a week) has engines that come up on occasion.

Youtube videos are good too. Lots of gearhead's out there with an incredible amount of engine knowledge that transfers over to marine diesels.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 05:49   #5

There are a LOT of community colleges around Florida that have marine diesel mechanic courses. A few minutes of googling will turn up a bunch.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 06:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Here in Pensacola, we have George C. Stone Technical College. We have heard good reports. I studied at Santa Ana & Cypress College in California 40 years ago. Since settling here 24 years ago I formed a LLC and rebuild diesel boat engines, over 200 Perkins 4.108's. Right now we are booked up through Feb, 2021, have 14 engines waiting their turn and getting tired at 82 years. PM and we can answer some questions.
Tom BSHMarine LLC
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, florida, school