Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:34   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Long term outboard motor storage.

i have a mercury 9.9 outboard im not using. i was saving it for a tender motor but that could be several years away. its already 4yrs old but i bought it brand new and it has less than 50 hours on it. i cant decide if i want to keep it or sell it but until i do i want to remove it from my boat and store it until i decide.

is it good enough to just run some fresh gas through it for a few minutes, unplug the gas feed, remove it and put it in a storage locker? should i run an additive in the gas, drain, change oil etc?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:50   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Long term outboard motor storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
i have a mercury 9.9 outboard im not using. i was saving it for a tender motor but that could be several years away. its already 4yrs old but i bought it brand new and it has less than 50 hours on it. i cant decide if i want to keep it or sell it but until i do i want to remove it from my boat and store it until i decide.

is it good enough to just run some fresh gas through it for a few minutes, unplug the gas feed, remove it and put it in a storage locker? should i run an additive in the gas, drain, change oil etc?
I would run it dry with some fogger in the intake (or just pull the plugs and spray in each cylinder) and change the leg oil if its going to sit for more than 2 years.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 13:00   #3

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

There's a bunch of stuff that one should do to prepare for longer-term outboard storage (which is basically a combination of standard maintenance plus fogging the motor, since you mentioned it was a mercury might want to look at https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...your-outboard/).

With that said there's plenty of smaller motors that survive a "long-term storage" procedure that is simply standard maintenance plus running the carburetor completely dry of fuel (so it doesn't gum up, which is VERY common issue with motors that sit awhile and doubly so if it is ethanol fuel..).

If you're anything like me the "store it until I decide" will be much longer than you anticipate and you are probably better off simply selling it now, especially given that in "several years" from now I could see an outboard as small as a 9.9 with EFI being strongly desired over one with a carb OR electric outboards progressing even more.. (EFI has made its way down to 15 hp and battery technologies are improving every day... And I can safely skirt around the debate of benefits of EFI/carb or gas/electric because the technologies of tomorrow are not yet known ;-) )
Old 05-03-2020, 13:07   #4

I have a neighbor that collects small Evinrude. He has a matching set of different sizes and years. all look alike except size.
He say's start engine run till warm, with prop in clean water till water is flowing from pump, disconnect fuel line, run at slow speed till starts to sputter, pull out choke and continue to run until all gas is out of lines and bowls of carburetor. Remove carburetor bowl blow dry with compressed air. Do same with fuel pump and screen. Spray compressed air up water exit tube right away before thermostat close .Spray engine cleaner on surfaces under engine cover . Store in dry protected area. Be prepared to replace all rubber hoses that may dry rot in storage.
Keep out all rats, mice, and squirrels that can and will eat insulation from wires.
Step back and cross fingers.
Me I just give mine to him and say fix please. Let me know what costs are.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 13:50   #5
er9
cruiser

thanks, i appreciate the feedback. it would be painful to sell. i'd be lucky to get half of what i paid for basically a brand new motor. tough one but either way i do want to get it off the boat as its basically sitting exposed to the sun and salt as it is. have to do something soon. iv'e already waited way to long to do this...
Old 05-03-2020, 15:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Depends on how far you want to go.
I “pickled” my little airplane, placed it into long term storage. I replaced the oil with special storage oil. Pulled the plugs and replaced them with special desiccant plugs, fogged the cylinders with the storage oil, filled the carburetor with the storage oil. Drained and dried the fuel tanks and fogged them with oil.
Covered intake and exhausts with heavy aluminum foil.

Done correctly a motor can last almost forever in storage, a Friend in Douglas Ga rebuilt or restored an XP-82 twin Mustang. Being a twin and the XP it was powered with Merlin engines, one which turns backwards, as you can imagine backwards turning Merlins are very rare, but they found one in Mexico City that had been bought decades ago for a race boat, then they found it turned backwards and forgot about it.
It had been stored in its can for 65 years, when they opened it up, it was perfect, they still had it disassembled, cleaned put back together as an “overhaul” due to its age.

So if you really want to perfectly preserve that engine, you can, put it in a vacuum storage bag with dessicant and it will be fine next Century.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 16:21   #7

Boat: Macgregor 26S
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I would think selling it would be most cost effective option. Later when you need it again, buy another used one.
You also do not need to worry about it getting stolen, or rats eating the wiring inside, or it just going bad from lack of use.
I like the comment from SunnySky discussing future tech and electric motors. That may be the way to go in a few years.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:11   #8
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Depends on how far you want to go.
I “pickled” my little airplane, placed it into long term storage. I replaced the oil with special storage oil. Pulled the plugs and replaced them with special desiccant plugs, fogged the cylinders with the storage oil, filled the carburetor with the storage oil. Drained and dried the fuel tanks and fogged them with oil.
Covered intake and exhausts with heavy aluminum foil.

Done correctly a motor can last almost forever in storage, a Friend in Douglas Ga rebuilt or restored an XP-82 twin Mustang. Being a twin and the XP it was powered with Merlin engines, one which turns backwards, as you can imagine backwards turning Merlins are very rare, but they found one in Mexico City that had been bought decades ago for a race boat, then they found it turned backwards and forgot about it.
It had been stored in its can for 65 years, when they opened it up, it was perfect, they still had it disassembled, cleaned put back together as an “overhaul” due to its age.

So if you really want to perfectly preserve that engine, you can, put it in a vacuum storage bag with dessicant and it will be fine next Century.
wow thats pretty cool. i would love to see that mustang.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15   #9
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
I would think selling it would be most cost effective option. Later when you need it again, buy another used one.
You also do not need to worry about it getting stolen, or rats eating the wiring inside, or it just going bad from lack of use.
I like the comment from SunnySky discussing future tech and electric motors. That may be the way to go in a few years.
thanks....yeah thats kind of where im leaning towards now. going to get it off the boat this weekend and to the shop so i can clean it up at least. on the bright side...it will probably pay for my new Mantus anchor which is badly needed.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

EFI Suzuki down to 9.9 hp.

Just make sure you get all gas out of the carb. My tohatsu has a screw you take out of the bottom of the carb to drain it. Fog the engine with fogging oil while engine warm and running. I take plugs out and squirt a couple of milliliter of engine oil into cylinders. Then pull the starter rope with plugs out to grease up the rings. Then replace plugs. I leave spark plug wires unattached. I also wash my engine down with fresh water... avoid electrical areas. Change out drive fluid. Change engine oil. I also try and hit every bolt and spring with a spray oil. Take your prop off and clean the splines, castle nut, washers and grease all of that. Then ... the last thing I do is put some fresh wax on her.

I liked the comment about a large desiccating bag.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:48   #11

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Put the ear muffs on it and run it out of gas,,,,,,as it is about to stall, choke it so it continues to run and sputter........keep playing with choke to keep it running as long as possible. Then try to start again, with and without choke. At that point you will have sucked all the gas out of the carb. Then pull the plugs and shoot OMC or Merc engine fogger, or a half ounce of straight two stroke motor. into each cylinder. Put plugs back in and put tape around plug to remind you to remove both plugs and spit out the excess oil prior to trying to start it next year.
Shoot some Silicone spray into the water pump intake screen once the lower unit is dry.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:56   #12
er9
cruiser

good idea on the silicone spray. didnt think of that. i will do a fresh water flush first.
Old 07-03-2020, 13:43   #13

Time will perish a number of items. Engine and gear box oils degrade and lose their corrosion fighting abilities, so I would put in new oils and any oil extending additives. I would run carburetor / injection cleaner through the petrol. I would run the engine and disconnect the fuel line at the tank so the fuel line is also emptied. Use proper fogging oil in the spark plug holes, and crank the engine over by hand to spread it around. Rubber also degrades over time and so a protector like 303 Aerospace protection could be sprayed on all engine rubber and plastic components. Anywhere moisture could be trapped will corrode metal fittings, I would spay with WD40 or similar to get all moisture removed. The control cables in the tiller, the pivot points in the tilt mechanism should have fresh grease applied. Take the propeller off and store it separately so it does not bind on the splinted shaft. Remove rubber water pump impeller and insert a new one when it comes out of storage..
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:08   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I would and have done for long term storage:
  • Run the engine with the fuel heavily dosed with Sta-bil or similar in a dustbin/drum with fresh water for a couple of hours so that it gets up to temperature and dissolves any salt in the very small passageways. At the end, remove the fuel tank connection but keep the valve open so that the pump can empty all the hoses up to the carb.When it stops through lack of fuel, open the carb drain valve to empty carb
  • Then do as others have said, oil change engine and leg, fog/oil cylinders, spray engine etc.
Remember, if stored for a long time then you should at least check and probably replace the water pump impeller in the bottom of the leg on re-commisioning.
Of course, its just possible that when you re-awaken sleeping beauty, your pride and joy will be as welcome as a sneeze in Wuhan
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 22:05   #15
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
I would and have done for long term storage:
  • Run the engine with the fuel heavily dosed with Sta-bil or similar in a dustbin/drum with fresh water for a couple of hours so that it gets up to temperature and dissolves any salt in the very small passageways. At the end, remove the fuel tank connection but keep the valve open so that the pump can empty all the hoses up to the carb.When it stops through lack of fuel, open the carb drain valve to empty carb
  • Then do as others have said, oil change engine and leg, fog/oil cylinders, spray engine etc.
Remember, if stored for a long time then you should at least check and probably replace the water pump impeller in the bottom of the leg on re-commisioning.
Of course, its just possible that when you re-awaken sleeping beauty, your pride and joy will be as welcome as a sneeze in Wuhan
Lol...thanks. i got it off the boat today at least. Now i can get it to work and clean it up without it deteriorating anymore. My neighbor showed some interest in possibly buying it so i may not need to pickle it afterall.

Tags
motor, outboard, storage