Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 09:16   #16

Re: Likely problem? (Yamaha 4 stroke 8hp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andri02 View Post
May or may not be related to this .... I had problems with my 4 stroke outboard and the mechanic insisted it was related to the ethanol that is common in gasoline these days. I followed his advice and got ethanol free gas at a small airfield and have never had a problem since.
Good advice. Since switching ALL my small engines over to non ethanol gas almost all problems have disappeared. Amazing difference. I can readily start a chain say that's sat for a year and a half. You can buy this gas for a little more $ at certain places. Google it.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Good advice. Since switching ALL my small engines over to non ethanol gas almost all problems have disappeared. Amazing difference. I can readily start a chain say that's sat for a year and a half. You can buy this gas for a little more $ at certain places. Google it.
Yeah, you actually have to maintain or use you engines if you use ethanol gas. You cannot expect to leave old ethanol fuel sitting around for months on end then be like my engine won't start!

Most folks run their engines dry when using ethanol if they know they won't be using them again for a while

Otherwise the ethanol fuel is fine for daily or weekly use. And the engines made today were built to run on 10% ethanol and recommend it's useage

Use stabilzer if you are uncertain about time between useage
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, you actually have to maintain or use you engines if you use ethanol gas. You cannot expect to leave old ethanol fuel sitting around for months on end then be like my engine won't start!

Most folks run their engines dry when using ethanol if they know they won't be using them again for a while

Otherwise the ethanol fuel is fine for daily or weekly use. And the engines made today were built to run on 10% ethanol and recommend it's useage

Use stabilzer if you are uncertain about time between useage
Yeah, like my brand new home generator. Sat for 9 months after one use. Was ran dry (it takes a while!) But "run dry" is not completely dry. you need to drain the bowl also, if it has a bottom screw or remove the bowl and drain. Still a little in the bowl otherwise. Next time it wouldn't start. Took the carb apart and the aluminum bowl was heavily pitted inside. Went to non ethanol and never looked back. My riding mower doesn't have a fuel shutoff.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:57   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I still think it’s a fuel leak though, rub it on you finger and smell it, if it’s fuel you’ll know.
It will also be sort of greasy feeling, where corrosion should be dry.
Also if it’s fuel, I bet a solvent like WD-40 or similar may dissolve it a little, corrosion it won’t.
I'm just tickled when I see someone correctly identify WD 40 as a solvent not a lubricant.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:51   #20

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

+1 on the splashing. We have a 15hp Yam 4 stroke with the same configuration. An ocassional cleaning and a bit of petro jelly. The color could be protectorant.

We spray down engine components with heavy silicone. Some use T9 but its messier come service time. Neither seemed to keep the fuel pump clean from splashing.

If your worried about function you can remove the carb hose and check the pump flow into a glass. If you open the case it may not reseal.

A manual is a very good thing for novice and expert tinkerer.

Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke