Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 14:05   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Light Loading of Diesels -- How Harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Your .02 makes a lot of intuitive good sense

Yes it does, restricting airflow on the exhaust is just as if not worse that one the suck side,
Use a blocked exhaust elbow as the example.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 15:22   #62

Re: Light Loading of Diesels -- How Harmful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, I've noticed some differences in smoking, using different fuels. I bought a load of sweet, high cetane diesel fuel in Russia (I had it brought up by truck from St. Petersburg!) last year. It was diesel fuel, but different -- sweet smelling, and lighter and clearer in color, almost white. Running on this fuel, my engine smoked much less than it does with other fuel. Also ran noticeably smoother. This surprised me.

But other boats also running our heavy UK fuel, don't smoke like mine does, so I don't think this is the main problem.
Are you sure that St Petersburg diesel wasn't vodka? Did you taste it? Different, clear in color---sweet smelling....you can buy vodka by the truck load there....so I'm told. Sounds a good way to get it past Customs.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 15:34   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
The lower end of that curve is missing, which would show a steep rise in output as the turbo boost comes on. The turbo clearly is working well at 2000 rpm and the engine should be burning efficiently and cleanly. Assuming the turbo is working well down to 1800 or maybe less then I don't think you are operating it too slowly. Assuming also your prop is correctly matched. That said, I can't imagine long periods of very slow operation are too harmful. Your engine is probably similar - my engine is used widely in agricultural/construction equipment and buses for example and they routinely spend many hours at idle.

Peak efficiency and cleanest, leanest, hottest burning should be somewhere approaching the max torque of 2600rpm.
Concerning the prop -- it's a variable pitch Brunton Autoprop, which should be especially good for getting a load on under any circumstances. Not a Hundested, but the next best thing.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:02   #64

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Are you sure that St Petersburg diesel wasn't vodka? Did you taste it? Different, clear in color---sweet smelling....you can buy vodka by the truck load there....so I'm told. Sounds a good way to get it past Customs.
Customs will crack the valve on the scuba tanks to see what comes out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, loa