Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 06:37   #1

Lift Pump on Westerbeke 42b Four

I had to replace the preheat solinoid on my W42 from it sticking. The solinoid engages the glow plugs and activates the lift pump which makes a clicking sound. After replacing the solinoid I noticed the pump was no longer working, after not hearing any noise. Do I really need the lift pump? The motor starts up fine and runs great. Is this just used for bleeding the engine?
Thanks, Russell
Russt1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 09:40   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
On my Westerbeke gen the electric supply pump is activated until the system is pressurized, it then stops pumping until the unit is started. When the injector pump starts supplying fuel to the injectors the supply pump will then pump what is required to keep the system charged with fuel, you can't hear it because of the engine noise.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 12:50   #3

On my motor there are two wires that activate the pump only when you turn on the preheat switch. The motor year is 1996, so it might be different.
Old 17-06-2013, 06:12   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Lift Pump on Westerbeke 42b Four

I have the W38B- 4, which is very similar to your W42B and I would say you need the Faucet lift pump. It is a 2 pipe system, supply and return and is designed to pump back the un used fuel. Are you sure it is not pumping? When I turn my key on and them press the glow plug button I here a bunch of fast clicking then it slows, then hit the start button and she fires right up. Once it fires I think the pump will stay on.

I'm also looking for a serpentine pulley kit for my engine. Same pulleys as yours.
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:31   #5

Re: Lift Pump on Westerbeke 42b Four

I had some electrical problems on the boat and the solinoid was sticking leaving the pump on always. Maybe it is supposed to stay on all the time. I have the little square pump with the two wires going into the top of it. When I went down to look at it the clicking noise would start and stop when I move the wires going into the pump. I have seen these pumps around for $40.00 and am going to buy one.
Thanks, Russell

Tags
lift, westerbeke