Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 07:29   #1

Boat: 60 foot stysill schooner
Lehmann BSD 666 high oil pressure

I have a Ford lehmann bsd666 120 hp in my schooner. The oil pressure has started reading 80psi on idle and up to a 100 at higher rpms. The manual states it should be between 65 and 80. This is a new boat to me and I'm not overly familiar with this engine. I have had 3 different diesel mechanics out and they all say it's the oil check valve on the oil pump. But one said he wouldn't worry about it, the other said don't run the boat till it's fixed. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows for fact what is really to high of pressure before seals start leaking. The boat has been sitting alot prior to my getting it and the last mechanic suggested using seafoam in the oil and it might just free up the valve. Any help would be great thanks
Windward7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:33   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Lehmann BSD 666 high oil pressure

Instead of second (or third or fourth) opinions from 'mechanics', get a second one from another gauge. They can and do go bad, especially the senders on electric ones...

Not sure what a 'check valve' on an oil pump is, unless they mean pressure relief valve, which, if stuck 'shut', could yield anomalously high readings.

Seafoam might help unstick one, as might other engine flushes, or even just running it. Don't think I've ever seen mechanical problems from high oil pressure, but it could cause leaks in coolers or sketchy hoses.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, oil