Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Leaking Water Pump

whilst inspecting our motor {4JH4TE YANMAR 75HP TURBO 1800 HRS} yesterday i noticed blue green powder around the water pump which tells me it is leaking ,this is a bit disapointing as the motor is just over 2 years old .Could anyone advise me on what course of action i should take as i'm keen to do the work myself .Obviously i will have to remove the pump which looks fairly straight forward,but i would love to hear from anyone who has done this before.
Thanks.
www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Leaking water pump.

Check out this thread post #34. It gives a link to a manual. Have never done it myself but have a similar engine the 4JH4E

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54   #3
TOM

Re: Leaking water pump.

Thanks ,but would like to hear from any members who have had this problem .I find the manuals a little geared towards very mechanicaly minded people.
www.byamee.com
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26   #4

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Leaking Water Pump

Before wading into the deep end, try and pinpoint the leak before doing anything.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37   #5
TOM

I'm 97% certain that the leak is from the water pump the residue is just underneath the pump it has to be a leaking water pump.what i need is some one who can tell me ins and outs of getting it off fixing it and putting it back on.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40   #6

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I'm 97% certain that the leak is from the water pump the residue is just underneath the pump it has to be a leaking water pump.what i need is some one who can tell me ins and outs of getting it off fixing it and putting it back on.
The pump can leak from the front cover or from the shaft seal. The location of the leak will determine the difficulty of the repair.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 13:28   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have had a small leak coming from the front cover. I replaced the gasket and put in bolts that had a hex head which are easier to work with. Happened once. I have been looking for a thread but haven't been able to find it. The thread goes over the difference between the pumps for the 4JH and the 3JH the 3JH is considerably less expensive and there is only a small change needed. I'll keep on looking and link it when I find it but if someone else knows the thread I am talking about perhaps they can help.
Ok I found it http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...his-70384.html

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 13:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
whilst inspecting our motor {4JH4TE YANMAR 75HP TURBO 1800 HRS} yesterday i noticed blue green powder around the water pump which tells me it is leaking ,this is a bit disapointing as the motor is just over 2 years old .Could anyone advise me on what course of action i should take as i'm keen to do the work myself .Obviously i will have to remove the pump which looks fairly straight forward,but i would love to hear from anyone who has done this before.
Thanks.
www.byamee.com
It could be leaking from a number of places : where the pipes go on, where bronze fittings are screwed in, from the gasket, and from the shaft seal. The latter is the only one that necessitates a new pump. So make it leak and look where it's coming from!
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:02   #9

Boat: Sceptre 36

Fix it immediately! If the leak lets sea water into your engine, it is toast!!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:35   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Fix it immediately! If the leak lets sea water into your engine, it is toast!!
I don't see how that would happen if its leaking around the seal
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:44   #11

Boat: Sceptre 36

I had a buhk DV 20 with 2000 hrs on it. It ran perfectly except for this greenish growth around the water pump which I was attempting to track down. Short story is the engine seized but got me home. Post mortem by the mechanic was the seal had failed, the tell tale was plugged so could not see leak, sea water entered and contaminated engine oil, $15k gone!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 15:44   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
I had a buhk DV 20 with 2000 hrs on it. It ran perfectly except for this greenish growth around the water pump which I was attempting to track down. Short story is the engine seized but got me home. Post mortem by the mechanic was the seal had failed, the tell tale was plugged so could not see leak, sea water entered and contaminated engine oil, $15k gone!
Different motor different problem!!!

If the leak is coming from the seal area it'll most likely be sling water elsewhere out the casting gaps. So do check to see where the water is likely coming from. It maybe something as simple as a loose hose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump_assy.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	33201  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34   #13

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity

I have been there with our 3GM, there was a small drip coming from the hole in the casting at the bottom of the water pump. It is pretty straightforward to loosen the mounting bolts, drop the belt off and the pump is then in your hands.
Remove the cover, usually 6-8 small bolts then pull the impellor out.
After that I had to remove the pulley the belt was on, then there was a snap ring or two to remove (you will need snap ring pliers) and then the whole shaft of the pump could be slid out from the housing. There is a seal on the shaft that is on the inboard end of the impeller that needed to be changed in my case. If memory serves the seal was about half the cost of a new impellor. Put it all back together and all has been well for about a year now. I should mention I am mechanically inclined by degree and profession...
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04   #14
TOM

Thankyou, this is the kind of info i need .I'm going to attempt this tomorrow .The bottom right hand nut looks like it is going to be a real b--tch to get off . I have got the no of a good mechanic just in case i screw it up.

www.byamee.com

Tags
leaks, water