Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 16:14   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Leaking impeller (not from the cover)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5373.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	230588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5374.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	230589

I’m getting a slow but steady drip from the impeller. I’m pretty sure it’s not leaking from the cover, but from the space between the impeller and engine block. Any thoughts on how to fix?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 16:38   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Leaking impeller (not from the cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Attachment 230588Attachment 230589

I’m getting a slow but steady drip from the impeller. I’m pretty sure it’s not leaking from the cover, but from the space between the impeller and engine block. Any thoughts on how to fix?
Yes, replace the shaft seal. Depending on the make/model of the pump, it will be either a lip seal or a mechanical seal.

Lip seals are usually a couple of dollars from a bearing supply shop while mechanical seals are more. I recently replaced a mechanical seal on a Jabsco water pump. Jabsco want $300 for the seal yet the local pump shop had them for about $20 (for the exact same seal).

These water pumps are not difficult to rebuild. It is only the first time that takes thinking.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 16:42   #3

As it is a direct driven pump, it will also have an oil seal on the engine side of the shaft - again most likely to be a lip seal. Replace this seal as a matter of course when you have the pump apart.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-01-2021, 16:46   #4

On second glance, given the size of the pump body, my guess the shaft seal on the water side is a simple lip seal. Ideally this lip seal should have a SS garter spring but it you can't get a lip seal with the SS garter spring, simply remove the standard carbon steel garter spring and replace with a suitably sized O ring (in lieu of the garter spring).
Old 18-01-2021, 08:55   #5

Boat: Catana 471

You can also get replacement seals from Depco Pump Company. They're very knowledgeable and helpful.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:56   #6

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

If you are not comfortable replacing the seals yourself - there is always Depco pump. Great techs, very knowledgeable. My particular pump has a design flaw that causes the oil seal to leak after 1-200 hrs. Depco knew the problem when I called and could tell me which iteration my (new pumps) were. They have been great at working with me on a fix until Johnson pump gets it right (presently the 5th iteration). In turn I keep them in the loop so they can see how well their "workaround" lasts. I keep a spare pump to swap out, send the old one to Depco for rebuild. Rebuild turnaround usually less than 2 weeks unless you want overnight shipping$$$ but call 1st.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As it is a direct driven pump, it will also have an oil seal on the engine side of the shaft - again most likely to be a lip seal. Replace this seal as a matter of course when you have the pump apart.
If only the front water seal is gone then you can replace it alone using some circlip pliers to carefully pull it out forwards and then replace it by carefully pushing it in from the front.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 11:34   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

When you have it apart replace all seals and gaskets. Seals are cheap and the consequences of a failure of the water seal not caught early can lead to the oil seal failing and thus puts water in your engine oil with all the implications that has. Can lead to major engine failure or at least a rebuild. Forget about a partial seal replacement. It seems there are two schools of thought in this forum - prevention and fixing only those things that have already “broken”. I can understand the latter a little if you are talking about some major expense undertaking but things like this I’ll never understand. Why take something apart and put back old gaskets and seals? Don’t know.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 11:42   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

I replace my water pump with my backup when I change the oil. Then replace the lip seal in the just removed water pump and make it my backup. Just make sure the bearings have not been damaged by sea water leaking past seal. The lip seals on my Yanmar raw water pump are about $13 which is nice compared to a new pump at $250.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:20   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

with Emeraldciadtsailor.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 14:25   #11

Boat: GibSea 472

Long time ago I had same leak from the pump even after replacing the seal after a few hours it started leaking again. After dismantling the pump and analysis, I found that the bearing was a bit lose, and the in consequence, the shaft was worn at places. That explained the recuring leak. I bought a pair a bearing (stainless!) of the right size, that is, with an internal diameter a bit smaller, but same outer size. I had the shaft machined to the new smaller size, had the 2 bearings pressed onto the shaft - There is enough space for 2 bearings into the casing of the pump-. With a better support of the shaft into its casing,the whole thing is much sturdier and I never had any problem since. And considering the cost a parts at Volvo, I was quite happy with this solution.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 14:35   #12

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
You can also get replacement seals from Depco Pump Company. They're very knowledgeable and helpful.

Hi,
Thanks for the info everyone! Though it seems not to difficult to replace the lips seals, I sent the impeller to Depco.
I have too many other projects going on and trying to get to the Bahamas!
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the info everyone! Though it seems not to difficult to replace the lips seals, I sent the impeller to Depco.
I have too many other projects going on and trying to get to the Bahamas!
Good move, Depco is excellent.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:02   #14

Boat: Farr 1020

There is an old post on the site that describes these seals and replacements. In short, it is likely to be the shaft seal behind the impeller. Normally a wire spring to tension it and this goes quite easily.
Remove cover and pull impeller (may need to remove a circle for that).
Jim Cate posted the next trick - Use a hooked pick and go in to the back of the pump and simply push the seal out.
If you don't have a spare seal, replace the wire spring with a rubber O ring, or best is to do that to a new seal.
Replace impeller, new gasket and remember to turn the water back on before starting the engine.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 16:12   #15

Boat: Pearson 10M

I would suggest to replace to bearings at the same time. Seawater could have gone past the leaky seal and corroded the bearings. for the small additional amount it's not working when the job twice or having it seize up at the wrong time. It's an easy job to replace the seals and the bearings. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how. Depco can sell you the whole kit. I purchased a harbor freight arbor press for something like $35 to press the bearings into place. Once I got out the remains of the corroded bearings, it was like a 35 minute job. Could probably do it less time the next time I do it.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote