Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 14:47   #31

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: Leak at the injector line nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just rambling here but wonder if. Apiece of copper tube with ferrules would work as a temporary repair, you know something to carry with you for an emergency, copper tube is tougher than you may think
Normally just put another Ferrell or olive I think we used to call them, Clean up the end of the tube and put one on and tighten it down. When I was a mechanic we used to carry spares but know it's normal to just replace the whole thing.

Remind me to put them on my spares list...

P?R?NÇ ZEYT?N - Narin Otomat
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 07:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just rambling here but wonder if. Apiece of copper tube with ferrules would work as a temporary repair, you know something to carry with you for an emergency, copper tube is tougher than you may think
Hard to say - maybe in the short term, but it's got to stand up to >1200psi operating pressure with higher spikes. My gut feel it's that if you could get it to seal it would work for a while then the tubing might work harden and fracture from repeated flexing.

As an aside, I've never ever seen copper high pressure injection lines - they are always steel. Return lines can be copper add they run at almost zero pressure.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:22   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was thinking as a get home type of fix only, like wrapping a rag around a badly leaking packing gland.
Just I'd rather not run my engine with a dead cylinder if I can help it. It's not all that good for it, won't kill it, there used to be engines that would shut down cylinders for conservation of fuel, but they were balanced, not 4 cylinders running on three.
Would brake lines be flexible enough? Need Metric ones I'm sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:30   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In doing a little reading, if you do deactivate a cylinder by removing fuel, you should leave the valves closed on that cylinder too, so I guess remove the pushrods and lifters too?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote