Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 16:28   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Kubota Power??

There is a 28' sailboat powered by a 18hp Kubota tractor engine. I'm not sure of the mating technique used to mate this engine to the original Yanmar. Obviously there is a way. The motor mounts were probably the easiest part of the conversion.

The owner states it works just fine and parts cost 1/4 the Yanmar stuff. I just wonder how a farm engine holds up to salt water cooling and breathing environment.

Does this give anyone on this forum the heebies?
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 16:40   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Kubota Power??

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
There is a 28' sailboat powered by a 18hp Kubota tractor engine. I'm not sure of the mating technique used to mate this engine to the original Yanmar. Obviously there is a way. The motor mounts were probably the easiest part of the conversion.

The owner states it works just fine and parts cost 1/4 the Yanmar stuff. I just wonder how a farm engine holds up to salt water cooling and breathing environment.

Does this give anyone on this forum the heebies?
Not at all, there are thousands of Kubota engine conversions around the world working tirelessly. I would rather have a proven motor that is widely used in industry and agriculture than a marine specific one. (if there are still any marine specific engines made )

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 17:09   #3

Kubota has a good reputation

The marinization could be an issue
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 17:24   #4

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

You didn't mention if the Kubota was fresh or raw water cooled. If fresh, it'll run for a very long time with proper maintenance. And all the marinization parts are readily available. I could build that engine brand new for about 4500 to 5000 USD.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 17:24   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Kubota engines that are marinised use a heat exchanger; no salt water should be flowing through it's veins! Betamarine uses Kubota engines and they enjoy a good reputation.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 17:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Hmm. The Universal 5424 is a 24 HP Kubota. Mine is about 40 years old. I regularly change the oil, keep the cooling system working well and generally let her know she is loved.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 17:40   #7

The owner states it uses a marine universal sea water cooling system. I'm not real sure what this means other than raw seawater cooling??
Old 25-02-2020, 05:39   #8

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

"Marine universal sea water cooling system" means nothing at all, since there is no such animal.

If the owner can't give you basic factual information (which in itself might be heebie-inducing), and you can't visit the boat, we at least need clear comprehensive pictures to give even a guess if using a Kubota tractor motor, whether self or factory-marinized, "gives anyone the heebies".
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 05:49   #9

I agree totally. I can visit the boat. The Kubota issue was just one of the things I wanted to research. I am considering purchase but have to get several issues answered before going forward.

I plan to have the standing rigging replaced and possibly the chain plates etc if needed.

Are there retro fit heat exchangers available? If so, who might have them? I'm assuming the same thru hulls that are currently being used on the Kubota could be used for a heat exchanger.

This might not be the boat for me but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for the insight and guidance provided here.

Tom
Old 25-02-2020, 07:46   #10

A UK company, Thermex, makes the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger for Kubota engines. ASAP Supplies also in the UK is a distributor. Safest way to order is to have the full Kubota model/ serial number and an exhaust gasket.
Old 25-02-2020, 08:23   #11
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
"Marine universal sea water cooling system" means nothing at all, since there is no such animal.

If the owner can't give you basic factual information (which in itself might be heebie-inducing), and you can't visit the boat, we at least need clear comprehensive pictures to give even a guess if using a Kubota tractor motor, whether self or factory-marinized, "gives anyone the heebies".
Maybe he means it has a Universal Engines cooling system? Universal engines were marinized Kubota's. My Kubota engine was sold as a Universal Engines model 5432. Could possibly mean it has a Universal Engine heat exchanger? Pics would be helpful I guess.

Im wondering if the OP misunderstood or didn't understand what the owner was saying. Maybe the owner simply re-powered from a Yanmar to a Kubota engine and was bragging about how the Kubota was a better and cheaper to fix tractor engine and mislead the OP into thinking he had a franken-engine?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 08:37   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We love our Beta Marine re-power and had one on a previous boat as well. Beta marinizes a Kubota block and has dealers/installers in the U.S. and U.K. that a cursory search will find (I don't see other countries in my search). I also have a NextGen generator, which is Kubota as well.

Here's a link to my review Beta? What's a Beta?, which is the question I asked when I first heard about this engine.

I've had Yanmar, Ford, and Volvo marine diesel engines and prefer the Beta (Kubota) by far.

One cool feature is that the oil and fuel filters can be placed wherever you want. My first boat with a Beta engine was a traditional companionway access setup and the water pump, alternator, fuel filter, and oil filter were all right up front for easy access and maintenance. On my current boat engine access is on the side, so the water pump impeller is not as convenient.

On our current boat we removed a huge Ford Lehman 90hp that filled up the engine room and replaced with a Beta 85 that is 2/3 the size, without a noticeable loss of power.

I don't understand why anyone would question using a tractor engine, as commercial applications have to be powerful and reliable. I would think that is a GOOD thing.

Quiet, powerful, reliable, easy to maintain, affordable, easy to install, what's not to love?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 08:53   #13

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I suspect it is just a communication issue. Ask to see the paperwork on the engine . It is likely that it is a Universal branded marine conversion that uses the Kubota engine. 1000s of them out on the water. Good reputation.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 08:57   #14

I agree, the Kubota is a tough, dead simple engine that meets all current emission guidelines without using common rail injection and computer control. Plus, looked at the torque curve of most of their engines, the grunt comes on early and lasts through the mid band.

My second choice for "franken" build ( I dislike that term since it infers a substandard end product) is Mitsubishi industrial engines.

All the marinization parts are available for both engines as well as reduction gear adapter plates for the major brands.
Old 25-02-2020, 09:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
I agree totally. I can visit the boat. The Kubota issue was just one of the things I wanted to research. I am considering purchase but have to get several issues answered before going forward.

I plan to have the standing rigging replaced and possibly the chain plates etc if needed.

Are there retro fit heat exchangers available? If so, who might have them? I'm assuming the same thru hulls that are currently being used on the Kubota could be used for a heat exchanger.

This might not be the boat for me but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for the insight and guidance provided here.

Tom
It may have a fresh/salt system now. Both systems use salt water, Raw Water Cooling goes directly through the engine, Fresh Water Cooling routes the salt water through a heat exchanger which cools the anti freeze that circulates through the engine. Hard to say, but easily determined with a picture of the engine. There are all kinds of universal heat exchangers out there, they don't have to be mounted on the engine at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote