Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 13:20   #1

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35
JS transmission parts?

I purchased my Allied Seabreeze 3 years ago. This boat had a nice 300 hour 30b Three Westerbeke engine. Broken down in Jonesport, Maine now. I put a photo tachometer on the shaft coupling and confirmed that the transmission is slipping. This is a JS transmission.
The boatyard people are telling me that parts are no longer available for this transmission. Any idea who might have parts kicking around?
Thanks for any leads you might be able suggest.
Bob Cronin
stbdtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 18:21   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: JS transmission parts?

Happened to me also. Replaced it with a Newage PRM 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:02   #3

Hey guys! Stuck in Georgetown, Exumas, Bahamas with a broken down JS Transmission. Were you able to find one? Gentlemen who replaced with the PRM 120, did you buy in the US? How big of a job? Can I keep the boat in the water or is this a haul out?

Thank you gentlemen!
Strider34c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:05   #4

I had a JS transmission bolted up to a Westerbeke 30B three. I spent (wasted) 2 weeks on the hard at the Jonesport Shipyard in Maine trying to find parts or a rebuilt JS. I spoke to more people than I can count all over the US and Canada and no one has parts or a used one. I finally had to give in an purchase a new PRM 120. I got it from Hansen Marine in Marblehead, Massachusetts. (781) 631-3282. They provided a "kit" for the change over to the PRM. The PRM has a reputation as being a high quality transmission, but it does not bolt up to the Westerbeke 30 B three. The "kit" includes a new bell housing pre-drilled to accept the PRM 120 transmission. In my Allied Seabreeze doing this transmission change was not going to be possible with the engine in the boat. I had the crane at the boat yard remove the engine and we did the work beside the boat on the hard. Swapping the transmission was only a one or two hour job. Taking the engine out and putting it back can take some time. In my case the new housing required that I modify the engine bed to accommodate the different aft engine mounts (included in the kit). Hansen Marine has done a number of these change overs and was very helpful. Hope this helps good luck to you captain.
Old 29-10-2015, 20:06   #5

That info is very helpful! I am really hoping that I don't have to haul out! Do you happen to know the difference between the PRM 120 and the 80? The ratio is the same 2.5:1. The guy I talked to today was suggesting the 80. Let me know why you chose the 120, I'd be very interested in knowing. Thank you Stbdtack!
Old 29-10-2015, 20:45   #6

The material I have for the PRM transmission is on the boat on the hard away from my home. The PRM 120 was assumed by Hansen Marine and the 80 was not suggested. I seem to remember that the 80 was going to be operating at or near it's recommended limits with a continuous output of 28 -30 HP. Don't quote me on that but make the inquiry as to the limits outlined in the owners manual for the two units. The 120 as I recall, is very comfortable with the HP generated by the 30B three. I will check the manual on Saturday if you would like and get back to you on the weekend. Does the person suggesting the PRM 80 offer the same "kit" to marry the units together?
Old 30-10-2015, 02:35   #7

Yes, I will definitely ask the question. It does come with the same "kit" to marry the two.

Tags
parts, transmission