Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 14:09   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Jabsco Raw Water Pump ... I'm stumped!

I have a Jabsco water pump">Raw Water Pump on my Perkins 4-108 (Bronze casing - "3270-200" on the face plate). I'm stumped as to how to remove the rubber impeller in order to replace it. Is a special tool required? I know this is a routine preventive maintenance item for most folks, but everyone had to do it the first time. What am I overlooking? Any help here?

Also ... does anyone have a source for a Jabsco gasket?

Thx!

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 15:47   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Jabsco sell an impellor puller however I've never used one. I used to use a couple of blunt screwdrivers to lever the old one out but the risk of damaging it or the housing is very real. Now I do a visual inspection without removing it, this includes twisting the shaft back & forth to see how much wear is in the splines or keyway.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 16:19   #3
cruiser

Instead of paying the $40-$50 for the "impeller tool", I took one of the flat metal pieces that they sell with a decent size u-bolt and notched out a spot just the size of the impeller. I used my Dremel to cut the notch.

Any flat metal piece will do....

Just cut a notch in it so that you can "hook" the back of the impeller the same way the expensive "impeller puler" tool does. Once hooked, just pliers or a vice grip to get a really good grip on your home made impeller tool. Presto! It will slide right out.

Mine is snug up against the engineroom bulkhead (great design... not), so I had to gouge out a little bit of insulation there to get my took in place.

If you need more clarification and don't understand... let me know. I'd be happy to go into more detail. Basically, just make a square ended hook that fits in behind the impeller the exact same way the expensive tool does.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 18:28   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I just use small channel locks. Opening them up to the width of the hub, insert the fingers between the blades, squeeze and pull. Maybe a little wiggling and Wa La!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 22:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There are two types as Pete alluded to. One has a spline type shaft and the other a key. The key type have a nasty habbit of corroding. This could be making the impeelor hard to pull out. A little brut force and a lot of care and as all the others have said, it should pop out.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 00:19   #6

Needle nose pliers to grip the center and out it comes.

If the impeller is dry (sat for a while) then the rubber tends to stick to the casing. Just wiggle each impeller blade a little to free it.

ALWAYS LUBE the new impeller. If you haul out your boat you should also lube the impeller before starting the engine. The water drains out of the system.....a lot of boats lose their impeller right after splashing.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, raw water, raw water pump