Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 20:37   #1

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
J-Type Gear Boxes

Having inherited one of these intriguing gear boxes....which was munted upon acquisition; a point the vendor failed to mention... Anyway, I got it taken to bits by a regular genius gear-box mechanic who declared the set of seven thrust-plates were beyond the grave.

'And I get these from????'

He asserted finding the Holy Grail might be easier.

I discovered these gear boxes went out of production when the Dead Sea was still only slightly ill. Oh goody. Then I discovered some dude in the UK had parts, but the contact who relayed that asserted said supplier was, to say the least, 'difficult', and that he charged like a high-class prostitute. Oh goody.

Kiwi ingenuity to the fore. Within 3 days I had found a better quality steel than the orginal (mild steel). Using the original plates as patterns the local water-jet steel cutters cut me a new set, and th whole lot cost me NZ$280!

Two days later the box was reattached to the Sea Panther, fired up, and poom! Perfect operation.

I learned a lot about these boxes during the saga, so if any of you are stuck for info, or especially those particular parts, let me know. I can havea set to you within a fortnight at what it costs me, plus a bit of freight.

Cheers.
Dpex.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote