Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 04:43   #1

Islander 23 outboard installation in well?

So I bought my first brand new engine . A lovely tohatsu 6 sail pro .
I presumed it was just going to drop straight into the ob well ( after using another larger ob on a stern mounted outboard plate. ) but although the engine will fit , I'm missing something to clamp the engine to . Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433936271.743736.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	103513Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433936338.951553.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	103514Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433936432.476208.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	103515
I'm limited for photos and please ignore conditions on two photos as its now restored and looks like this Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433936514.754799.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	103516
Has anyone got any pictures diagrams on how it should sit in the well . Google produced very little . Not forgetting it's a islander 23 .
Thanks Woody

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46   #2

Re: Islander 23 outboard instillation in well??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433936720.633857.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	103517
I've put this one on again as you can see the hole underneath . Sorry I've not got any better from above but will get some .

Old 10-06-2015, 05:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You appear to have the L. Wakefield designed Islander 23, built in the UK by Russell Marine (and marketed in the USA as the Imperial 23).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You appear to have the L. Wakefield designed Islander 23, built in the UK by Russell Marine (and marketed in the USA as the Imperial 23).

So you are saying I'm wrong ? Thanks .
I was lead to believe it was the islander but got to say when I type that in it brings up the brigintana blog that is and imperial so presumed they were the same boat . Imperial and islander . I think i read something saying the states already had a islander so you changed the name . But it might give me more scope in my google search for imperial .
Thanks

Old 10-06-2015, 09:16   #5

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

I have a Columbia 26MK II that came with a 10 hp outboard in a well. After the initial year sailing with the noise, fumes, and aggravation of the outboard down below the seats, I purchased a Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke with tilt, remote controls, and a transom mount. I closed off the well to get rid of the other annoyance....sloshing. Granted this was a 3K investment, but the result was a thoroughly enjoyable , trouble free, excellent performing boat with out the fifth annoyance .....drag. I recommend doing it now if it's in the ballpark of affordability .

Blue Skies!
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:33   #6

Hi mserafi
The engine your suggesting is way over powered for mine . And the tilt option is not an option on this 6 .
I'm wanting to bring the engine nearer and easier to pull / start .
Are you saying that putting it in the well is not a good option . .
To be honest now it starts well but it vibrates excessively on the existing outboard mount and is awkward to lower and higher plus it does not come out clear out of the water .
Just to clarify this engine is brand new and on quarter Revs it pushes the engine at hull speed perfectly .

Old 10-06-2015, 11:39   #7

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch
Re: Islander 23 outboard installation in well?

I understand that $$$$ are always a factor in any decision with respect to sailing and sailboats. I'm not suggesting that you change your plans. I 'm just giving you some alternative ideas based on my experience. Motoring with my MK II outboard in the well was just awful while converting to a transom mount was great. Actually, it was the best return on investment I made while owning the boat. It increased the resale value of the boat as well. Consider it food for thought.

Mike S.
Offshore 33
Escaped from New York
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

There should be a raised stringer at the forward edge of the cut out to clamp the motor onto. Ineed better pictures of the locker in its entirety. Another option would be to install a small diesel inboard like a hatz 7 HP marketed under BMW and Renault an inboard was an option in that vessel.
As a side note a quick Google search turned up this entry that may be helpful for you.
http://svbrigantia.blogspot.com/p/islander-23.html
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20   #9

It's a trade off for sure. Inside the well the engine /prop comes out of the water less when in some swell, outside it's available to tilt and not sitting in that damp environment all the time. A good pic of the inside of your well would help. You saying there is nothing to mount it on?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33   #10

Yes there is nothing in there what so ever to mount to , its a perfect v in the bow end at the bottom to rest the shaft against, ive decided to fit a round topped inverted parallel horse shoe , i'm then going to bore two holes in a hardwood board to mount the engine , the board will then slide up and down in the rail system . i might even try a car boot / trunk piston to help with pushing the engine up . if all else fails and it turns out to not work i'll purchase and new engine mount for the stern with less vibration/unwanted movement .
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

That's good the lifting rails ate there all you need is to make or have made amounting board to run up and down the rails that's the lifting boom from the factory the motor is light enough i would assume you don't need hydrolic assistance to slide the motor verticly up the rails to the up locked position or to place it in the down run position.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 16:22   #12

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

I went the other way and took the 10 horse Merc that came with my Maurauder 24 off the bracket on the stern where I couldn't reach it, and where I thought it looked ugly too, and put it in the cockpit well. I ended up with a few degrees of steerage in the well by accident, but blimey what a difference - better thrust since it never came out of the water any more in the roughest weather, brilliant access for starting and/or repairs, and the super bonus - I found that I could now turn the boat almost in its own length by steering the motor and rudder together - very handy in a tight marina. With the high thrust prop changed for a high speed (standard) prop we could also go slowly to windward in 50 knots, which has been useful.
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 22:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
I went the other way and took the 10 horse Merc that came with my Maurauder 24 off the bracket on the stern where I couldn't reach it, and where I thought it looked ugly too, and put it in the cockpit well. I ended up with a few degrees of steerage in the well by accident, but blimey what a difference - better thrust since it never came out of the water any more in the roughest weather, brilliant access for starting and/or repairs, and the super bonus - I found that I could now turn the boat almost in its own length by steering the motor and rudder together - very handy in a tight marina. With the high thrust prop changed for a high speed (standard) prop we could also go slowly to windward in 50 knots, which has been useful.
Exactly the reasons I'm wanting it in the well . Every time I kick it in reverse it looks like it's going to drop off too . But I do use it for a little extra steer too . But when it's on the back I have to break my back to steer . Ill take some photos as soon as I get to the boat .
Old 03-07-2015, 12:27   #14

Only just joined the forum so have only just seen this. I also have a Russell Marine Islander. Mine actually has an inboard and an outboard in the well. The inboard is a Vire 7 that fits under the bridge deck, and it is a fairly tight fit. The outboard I have is a Yamaha 8, and I lift this with a block and tackle. When raised there is a blanking plate that blocks off the hole, I have had to make a new cover for this as the original cover is lower. This was designed to take an Evinrude 9.9, which had a low measurement from the mounting bracket to the top of the engine. The lifting mechanism I made myself, as I have never seen the original mechanism in a boat which was raised by winding a handle. Although the inboard is lower power it is the better engine to use, the propeller lower in the water, the o/b prop lifting out the water in choppy conditions. Hope this helps.
Kestral
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:03   #15

Sounds good kestrel and chuffed my post has made you join this forum . If you illuminate the trolls that talk ***** ( you know whom you are ) you'll get a lot a lot of sense on here .
Have you any photos ?
I think I'm going to make do with it on the ob board . But I'm going to make a better , non vibrating one and one that stops in the water when I hit reverse and lift it all the way out water when not in use ( I half think I've mounted it upside down or got where the wood part fixes and the stern fixing side mixed up . But I presumed the spring was to help me lift the out board up ) .

Tags
outboard, installation