Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 15:01   #1

Boat: PEARSON 422
Is the oil pan threaded on the inside or is it a lose bolt??

I have a Westerbeke 58 in my sailboat. It is leaking engine oil from where the oil sump drain hose connects to the oil sump/pan. I am looking at the parts diagram of the engine and it is a banjo bolt that holds everything together(drain hose assembly/oil pan). So, what I am wondering is...what is on the inside of the oil pan connected to the banjo bolt? is it a nut that will come lose if I remove the banjo bolt? Or is there threading that is welded or secured to the inside of the oil pan? I cant tell from the part diagram and I am afraid that if I wrench the banjo bolt out to replace the oil drain hose that I wont be able to reattach the drain hose without removing the oil pan. Is there anyone that knows about Westerbeke oil pan/sump/drain hose/banjo bolt? Thanks in advance!
Old 30-09-2017, 06:55   #2

Re: Is the oil pan threaded on the inside or is it a lose bolt??

Usually fittings like this are made by welding a threaded nipple to the oil pan, so that the banjo bolt can be removed without any problems. And the lack of an internal piece in the oil pan showing in the parts book reinforces that....

The parts book also calls for the use of loctite 242 ( blue lock and seal) on the banjo bolt threads to prevent leaks.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 07:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We all know that Westerbeke parts are extremely expensive and they take a lot of heat for that however, I emailed them the other day with a very tricky question regarding a 55A. Got a very informed response within a couple of hours, Try it, just for piece of mind.
Old 30-09-2017, 07:39   #4

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We all know that Westerbeke parts are extremely expensive and they take a lot of heat for that however, I emailed them the other day with a very tricky question regarding a 55A. Got a very informed response within a couple of hours, Try it, just for piece of mind.
Do you have an e-mail link? I've had little luck with this, trying Westerbeke directly or one of their main distributors. But my efforts were over the phone.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 08:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Do you have an e-mail link? I've had little luck with this, trying Westerbeke directly or one of their main distributors. But my efforts were over the phone.
Here ya go ...

help@westerbeke.com
Old 30-09-2017, 08:47   #6

Quote:
Here ya go ...

help@westerbeke.com
I appreciate that - thanks.
Old 30-09-2017, 08:50   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Have you tried Hansen Marine? They seem to be the connection between Westerbeke and the real world. I have, at times, had reasonably good luck talking to them for technical issues, and parts.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 09:44   #8

The threaded female part ( on the oil pan ) is welded to the pan. The male bolt threads into it. If its leaking, it may be that one of the sealing washers ( one on each side of the banjo) has been overtightened and is now loose. You should replace both washers ( usually aluminum or brass) each time you undo the bolt. Be careful not to overtighten them or you will have the same problem again. We always keep a half dozen spares, they are cheap, ( actually we made our own on our lathe from aluminum)
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 10:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meacenas View Post
The threaded female part ( on the oil pan ) is welded to the pan. The male bolt threads into it. If its leaking, it may be that one of the sealing washers ( one on each side of the banjo) has been overtightened and is now loose. You should replace both washers ( usually aluminum or brass) each time you undo the bolt. Be careful not to overtighten them or you will have the same problem again. We always keep a half dozen spares, they are cheap, ( actually we made our own on our lathe from aluminum)
Aluminum and steel ? Not a good galvanic mix maybe that's why you have to keep replacing them and have to have spares on hand.
Old 30-09-2017, 10:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Have you tried Hansen Marine? They seem to be the connection between Westerbeke and the real world. I have, at times, had reasonably good luck talking to them for technical issues, and parts.
Hansen Marine in Mass. is a primary distributor I believe, and the one who I had terrible service over the phone with. But this was quite a number of years ago now, and good to hear you had a more positive experience. WB's overall rep for customer service doesn't seem very good, even for some of their major dealers. In fact, when I had to replace my WB engine awhile back I was strongly advised to go with a different mfg. by one of their own, larger dealers solely on account of this, and it was in large part attributed to Hansen Marine. No critique of the engines themselves except for parts costs & availability at times. But again, that was a no. of years ago so maybe they've improved in that area. Hope so since, for better or worse, I opted not to take the dealer's advice & went with another WB.
Old 30-09-2017, 14:22   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Aluminum and steel ? Not a good galvanic mix maybe that's why you have to keep replacing them and have to have spares on hand.

Not being exposed to an electrolyte, the galvanic differences between materials is irrelevant.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Not being exposed to an electrolyte, the galvanic differences between materials is irrelevant.
It's a boat ! One drop of water or even humidity is an electrolyte with steel and aluminum.
Old 02-10-2017, 19:07   #13

Boat: PEARSON 422

Thank you all very much for the input! Much appreciated!

Tags
oil