Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 08:48   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Is it a bad idea to be ENTIRELY dependant on renewable energy on my 45' trimaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
A sail boat that can sail with no wind, yeah, now THAT make sense.
Have a big diesel powered fan blow on the sails, right?
And one thought the OP was crazy.

And btw, it is not crazy or impossible at all to use 100% renewal energy,
almost all boats can do this, as I pointed out, biodiesel fuel is renewable energy, Earthrace went around the world using biodiesel.

Actually his post said virtually no wind, not no wind, point is of course to develop as good a sailboat as possible, so that the need for aux propulsion is minimized as much as possible.

BioDiesel while I prefer it when I can get it, isn't the pure green fuel everyone wants it to be anymore than electric cars are, but that has nothing to do with this.

I think the gist of his question is "can I make electric propulsion work?"
And I think a very good way to make it work is to reduce your requirement for using it as much as possible, do you not? You seem to know a lot more about the subject than I do.

If renewable fuel was the issue, just buy a stock boat and run Bio in it, good luck finding the stuff though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39   #77

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is it a bad idea to be ENTIRELY dependant on renewable energy on my 45' trimaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
A sail boat that can sail with no wind, yeah, now THAT make sense.
Have a big diesel powered fan blow on the sails, right?
And one thought the OP was crazy.

And btw, it is not crazy or impossible at all to use 100% renewal energy,
almost all boats can do this, as I pointed out, biodiesel fuel is renewable energy, Earthrace went around the world using biodiesel.

Didn't it break a speed record for around the world? I think it got sunk by a Japanese whaler work as part of the outfit harassing the whalers. Not Greenpeace. The outfit with the guy calling himself a Capt. and placing a bunch of kid volunteers in harms way. " Sea Shepard " I'm all for protecting whales but this guy should be prosecuted.
danger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32   #78

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. Same boat that ran down and (I believe) killed the fishermen. Pretty poor advertisement for bio- eco- whatever.

Seen her in Auckland, I think.

It smells odd when an ex hunter becomes a great lover of animals out of a sudden. Smells of opportunism. But, I am sure, even this can happen at times.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02   #79

Please tell me more about the battery powered dive compressor. I have never seen a compressor with 3000 psi capability that could run on battery.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
Please tell me more about the battery powered dive compressor. I have never seen a compressor with 3000 psi capability that could run on battery.
Sure you have, it just takes a two ton truck to carry the batteries is all
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 18:46   #81

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

a lot of mental masturbation going on... my second favorite kind
sanibel sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:10   #82

Any reliance on a fuel on a boat means the range on engine is limited by the amount of fuel you can carry, whether that is diesel, biodiesel, or methanol for fuel cells

An electric engine with a large enough battery bank is very viable for day/weekend/short trip cruising, where the engine is primarily used for running in/out of marinas and in case of emergencies. The amount of boats that are retrofitting electric engines to replace diesels is increasing, demonstrating that the technology has reached a price level where there is an interest.

For long distance cruising, it becomes a trickier proposition, and for the NWP even more so, and thus generator is Required to provide power for the electric engine to extend the range beyond the storage capacity of the battery bank.

For those that commented on needing to have reliable instant power in case of emergency, this is an area where electric engines outperform combustion engines of equal power.
FloatingDutchMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:36   #83

I would design the boat with the space and wiring to install a diesel generator, fuel tank and have the through hull etc. Then I would get a Honda gas generator to have around for those long nights, etc. I believe it is risky to be in a state where you can use your electric motors at all.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, there was a boat in Patagonia that had rigged up a honda 1000 to provide cabin heat in addition to battery charging. I was a bit skeptical when I heard about it but it looked pretty solid when I looked it over. They had an auto muffler shop make up a flexible high temp pipe/hose that took the exhaust gas outside plus a flexible heater conduit hose that took the (hot) cooling air into the cabin. It was a pretty efficient set-up, recovering a lot of the heat that is normally wasted.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:54   #85

Boat: hunter 27

I would at least carry a small honda2kw as emergency backup

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
raybobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08   #86

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The original OP. Might be a good idea in a moderate or tropical climate.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 18:01   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
By the way, there was a boat in Patagonia that had rigged up a honda 1000 to provide cabin heat in addition to battery charging. I was a bit skeptical when I heard about it but it looked pretty solid when I looked it over. They had an auto muffler shop make up a flexible high temp pipe/hose that took the exhaust gas outside plus a flexible heater conduit hose that took the (hot) cooling air into the cabin. It was a pretty efficient set-up, recovering a lot of the heat that is normally wasted.
Old thread, but there is current thread on "installing" a Honda. How did this work? How did the "hot air" duct work? Was this a separate DC fan? To clarify, the generator was inside the cabin?
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 19:22   #88

You would have to consider your boat 'engineless' as you couldn't rely on having power at any given time (except for emergency reserve). That then depends on your experience and knowledge of sailing. It can be done, by a better sailor than I am. I don't have lots of experience with Lithium batteries, but I understand they need to be above 3C or so to accept charge? (at least those I have in an RV do).
MurrayAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran