Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 18:45   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33t
Is inboardengineprice a scam site?

The website is really way better than most scam sites, and it's been around a while.
I see it's based in Indonesia, and the only thing I can find seems contradictory, saying "legit" but a review saying huge export fees, never got engine or money.
But only one review?
The price seems too low to be legit? Even if it took 3 months to get here on a slow boat?
Search - beta 30

The situation I'm in is we're looking at a boat, but it's got a really old yanmar that has a transmission leak and it's well, a 37 year old motor. That you can't get parts for easily. Owner agrees repower, and is willing to work with me, but I want to be realistic on the cost point. I don't want to be a jerk but I don't want to agree on ~5k to repower with me doing the work and have it cost 15k. (i've replaced/rebuilt tons of car/truck engines. Never a diesel sailboat though)
Is 10k closer to "real" cost for a ~30hp motor?
Should I just try to do some crazy weird bending to reseal the transmission case to deal with the leak and run it till it dies then deal with repair?
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:52   #2

Re: Is inboardengineprice a scam site?

Take a look at this site in the UK and compare prices.
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...-for-sale/beta
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 20:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Take a look at this site in the UK and compare prices.
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...-for-sale/beta
Wish US sites would put prices... Pain in the rear trying to approximate stuff...
Old 11-08-2020, 21:56   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

from Scamadvisor.com...

Quote:
The trust score of inboardengineprice.com is very low. Why?

The trust score of inboardengineprice.com is extremely low. This is a strong indicator that the website may be a scam.

We rated inboardengineprice.com using a computer program. The algorithm has scanned the website looking at the source code being used, terms and conditions, registry, location of the company and if the website has received many positive or negative reviews. Scamadviser uses all this information to create a trust score.

Based on our analysis we gave this website a very low score. If a website receives a very low review from us, we really recommend you to double check if the site is not an online scam but really safe to use. Please read our article How to recognise a scam website before you proceed.

I have heard in the past that these Indonesian based sites will, in fact, supply you the motor you ordered. The problem is the final price once a bunch of shipping and other fees are added is a lot more than the listed price. Be that as it may, the big red flag is the lack of options. For example, the standard Beta 30 doesn't have the 7 degree angled gearbox as shown in the picture (which has been ripped directly off the Betamarine website), just the TMC 40P so straight off the bat the supply is not likely to equal the offer.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:29   #5

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Why don't you just e-mail the Beta factory in UK and ask?
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
Why don't you just e-mail the Beta factory in UK and ask?
I asked the US beta folks. I found another thread on here from someone at beta saying it was below their distributor pricing. So I'll see what their reply is today maybe.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:21   #7

US prices are a multiple of the prices charged in other markets despite the engines being identical in every way with no changes to meet emissions requirements.

I might be inclined to import a engine from the UK, possibly one a couple of years old because it seems cheaper than any of the alternatives.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 14:55   #8
TFM

Boat: Beneteau Oceanus 331

2014 a Westerbeke 25HP diesel (30C-3) new was $8,000+ picked up iat factory in Massachusetts. Understand they now do not sell them domestically. Replaced model 3B-3 27HP as a drop-in. Replacement model apparently the same except for EPA pollution fiddling.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 15:24   #9

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

The website you are referring yo is most certainly a scam site. I researched it before I bought my new engine. Beta engines are Kubota based as is Nanni. The Nanni is a French marineized Kubota and is considerably less money. I bought the Nanni, and I absolutely love it.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 00:40   #10

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar, complete with wiring harnes and instrument's, has only 250 hour's on the clock, it's in san Rafael, Ca. you can contact me at:831.682.3035
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:44   #11

Hi

I transferred to them USD 4500 to buy a YANMAR 3YM30Ae engine and then after confirming they received the money they ask for more money for "customs" which of course is not accepted because I will be the one paying the customs upon arrival not the exporter.

I received neither engine nor my money back even though they said they're sending the money back. They're not answering my emails.

I have reported them to the police. Caveat Emptor.
Bahhar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, price