Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 17:34   #31

Re: Installing an oil change pump

Yes I wish the Yanmar had the same setup...
Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 22:41   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: Our Nanni converted Kubota diesel has the same little brass extractor pump that is shown in the Beta post. Possibly it comes from Kubota, not from the marinizer.

At any rate, it works well IF you warm up the oil adequately. In cooler places, it can be hard yakka to pump cold oil... all 9 liters of it!

Jim
Old 14-10-2017, 00:30   #33

Boat: Oyster 49

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2028.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	157678

Our Yanmar 4JH3-HTBE has a brass manual pump installed as pictured. Probably put in by the previous owner.
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 01:30   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Just for interest.. How many posting in here have tried this item?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...23?recordNum=3

The reason I ask, is it COMPLETLY changed my view of changing oil. Its simple, clean and easy.. No wires, no extra pipes, no nothing. However, I do have a separate oil drain pipe on my MD2030s.
Used one of those for a decade for oil, petrol and antifreeze etc, brilliant bit of kit. Now have the slightly smaller Pela version as its easier to store on board. Doesn't quite have the same suction, so needs a few more pumps as you go along but with warm oil that's fine and gives me time to do other stuff whilst waiting.

Actually need to get a grip and go do an oil change before the winter sets in.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pump.png
Views:	176
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	157680  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 22:41   #35

Boat: Nicholson 38

Quote:
Just for interest.. How many posting in here have tried this item?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...23?recordNum=3
We use it and we like it a lot. We do not leave oil in it but transfer the oil into empty oil jugs if we are not near an oil dump. It's bulky, but I store it on its side in a lazarette (after emptying it), and so far no leaks.
Old 19-10-2017, 20:28   #36

Boat: Tartan 33

Here's what I have:

1. Switch the transfer pump on at the panel.
2. Attach QR drain/fill hose extension.
3. Open the drain valve on the oil pan.
4. Open the valve at the pump.
5. Suck out the old.
6. Reverse pump and suck in the new.
7. Close valves, tidy up, put everything away.

It's convenient, and I can do it all from the front of the engine.

Here are some pics:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture28123.jpg
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture28124.jpg
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture28125.jpg
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture28126.jpg
Old 19-10-2017, 20:35   #37

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
I agree there.. Its not so difficult on our cat, but I can see how it would be a pain on a monohull.. I solved the hose problem by draining them for a few hours. As to storing it upright.. Nope we store it laying down, with the plug in and never had a problem (yet).

As to the electric pump.. I went down that path and then stopped at one point and said, "Holy crap, someone must have solved this already". I asked around and was pointed to the pump I listed above.
Same story here. Sold my Reverso electric pump on eBay and use a similar suction container to the WM model shown. I store the suction tubes in a zip loc bag and that works pretty well. No problem laying the container on its side for storage so long as it's mostly empty.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 18:33   #38

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I finally installed my gear pump that is powered by a drill. I think the oil was completely out of there in less than a minute. Works incredibly well, bit overkill but that's the way I roll. I also plan to pipe a tee with valve so I can use a wand to clean out engine pan since the gear drains in there along with some other stuff.

I didn't reverse pump oil into engine although I could have. Doing so would have gotten my hose all oiled up and it's easier for me from top with funnel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-10-22 21.32.49.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	158178  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 22:23   #39

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Have one of those beautiful brass hand pumps like the one shown on the Kubota picture here but instead of on the dipstick tube as shown, leaving no way to check the oil level, I screwed a pneumatic hose end to the drain plug hole on the bottom of the oil pan and the other end connected to the cute brass pump when time to change the oil, with it's curved spigot draining into empty milk containers to discard. When done pumping, I disconnect the pump end of the hydraulic hose and plug it with a brass NPT pipe plug and raise it above the dipstick tube level. Then plug the little pump with vinyl hose bent up at both inlet and outlet to avoid drips. Oil filter removal always dribbles a bit. No electricity, no big pump and container to store and can use the dipstick for measuring the level. For $8 bucks, can buy a plastic version of that pump with hoses and all at the H. Depot.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 01:47   #40

Boat: Oyster 66

You can get the brass pumps here.
Sump Pumps - Aquafax
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:59   #41

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I was thinking of installing a permanent oil change pump on my Universal 5424 (Kubota 3 cylinder).

I was wondering if anyone has installed one on an engine of similar size. What pump did you use and did it work OK? Anything I should watch for?

How did you hook it up to the sump?

I would like a reversible one (to fill the engine as well as drain) because access to the top of the engine is restricted.

Our boat came with an oil change system factory installed, so can't really speak to installation other than to say the hoses are attached to drain fittings on the motors and gears.

Greatest thing since sliced bread. Empties our 12 gallons of oil -- both mains, both gears, genset -- in about 10 minutes, and most of that is me redirecting the discharge hose into the next bucket for recycling. Refilling takes only slightly longer, mostly about checking and getting the fill levels right.

Connect your gear and generator, too.

Ours happens to be Oil X-Chang-R brand, but Reverso makes 'em too, probably others.

-Chris
Old 23-10-2017, 05:13   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Used one of those for a decade for oil, petrol and antifreeze etc, brilliant bit of kit. Now have the slightly smaller Pela version as its easier to store on board. Doesn't quite have the same suction, so needs a few more pumps as you go along but with warm oil that's fine and gives me time to do other stuff whilst waiting.

Actually need to get a grip and go do an oil change before the winter sets in.

Pete
Yeah, I just did that yesterday

How much I bloody HATE that job

I did relatively well this time -- managed to actually catch all the oil from the oil filter rather than spewing it into the bilge. What numbskull at Yanmar came up with mounting the oil filter horizontally?

And managed not to spill any of the new oil going in. Which is unusual for me.

But I still got nasty black old diesel oil all over myself -- when you take the suction pump tube apart, there's just no way to avoid it. Pull the tube out of the dipstick hole and it naturally flails around

Bah, nasty, ugly, un-environmental job. Next boat will have a reversible oil change pump by all means (like the previous boat did).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 13:23   #43

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

I have a reverso gear pump 301 that pumps both ways but never installed it.
Will do so next boat.
I wonder if anyone has ever used it to do a pre-lube on the engine? I guess it would work if it was plumed right. I have nightmares though thinking I'm pre-lubing the engine and really its emptying it into the bilge....
Old 07-04-2018, 14:45   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What numbskull at Yanmar came up with mounting the oil filter horizontally?
He probably copied it from Perkins/Volvo. Just plain stupid...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:53   #45

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I was the service manager at an International Harvester truck and tractor dealership when IH came out with their 86-series of agricultural tractor. The engine oil filters were mounted ‘upside down’ and created a huge mess every oil change. According to the engineers who designed this brilliant installation, it kept lube oil constant during engine starts.

I have wondered if an external lube oil pump could be used not only for removing and replacing engine oil but you could circulate oil after the engine was shut down to help cool turbocharger bearings. Probably not worth it.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change