Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 10:05   #1

Install electric raw water pump??

Since a electric water pump">raw water pump would be operating at full capacity even at idle...is it reasonable to think that it would fill up the muffler before exhaust pressure built up enough to expel it....is there a fix for this??
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:18   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Install electric raw water pump??

There is no way for water to back up into the engine if it is running. When you shut down there might be a problem sometimes. You may need a check list for operating your engine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:52   #3

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Have to have an automatic shutoff of the raw water pump if the engine is not running. If you tie it in with the key to shut down the engine, you still could have the situation where the key is on and the engine is not running so that the muffler would fill with water and back up into the exhaust to get water into a cylinder with hydraulic lock occurring causing engine damage. What I would do is hook a relay that is normally closed when there is oil pressure. When there is no oil pressure because the engine is not running, the relay opens that supplies power to the raw water pump.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 15:59   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

This works great on my genset. Obviously without the motor running, there's no electricity to run the (120VAC) pump.

The problem I see is choosing a reliable pump. In the genset example, marine air conditioner pumps are made for exactly this environment, and work well. Not sure there's a 12V pump that's equally reliable.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:23   #5

Your right on, the electric pump will be running at full flow and more than likely could fill your exhaust lines/traps etc and flood the engine,yes you can add safe guards as previous posts indicate but why use electric? water and electricity -one leaking seal? dont like each other.

The mechanical option driven from the engine is normally reliable and fail safe, engine not running no water! at idle/low power limited water/ at full rpm lots of water -perfect system really
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 00:07   #6

there is no flywheel or front crank only the prop shaft and that is probably not going to happen
Old 23-07-2017, 00:38   #7

What engine is this?
Old 23-07-2017, 05:05   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
there is no flywheel or front crank only the prop shaft and that is probably not going to happen

What is the thing?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:19   #9

Farymann K34 m...water pump NLA later ones had a Johnson pump attached to a different front engine cover....may be possible to kobble one to the existing housing but not ideal
Old 23-07-2017, 11:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This works great on my genset. Obviously without the motor running, there's no electricity to run the (120VAC) pump.

The problem I see is choosing a reliable pump. In the genset example, marine air conditioner pumps are made for exactly this environment, and work well. Not sure there's a 12V pump that's equally reliable.

I do the same with my genset.
If so were to do it on my main engine, I believe I may power it off of the alternator or maybe through an oil pressure switch like you do a Hobbs meter, no oil pressure, no water flow.
Then I think I'd run it through a ball valve that is connected to the throttle, adding throttle opens the ball valve and of course increases water flow.
I have considered it, but likely will not as my mechanical pump seems very reliable.
On my generator it was leaking and spraying salt water all over the generator inside of its enclosure and ai didn't know it, ai did not want that to repeat so ai went with a March air conditioner pump, way more reliable and way more trouble free.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 22:11   #11

Havent seen one of those for many years, is your one of the air cooled variety?

All the ones i have seen still had a pulley and an alternator ? so would have been easy to adapt,

Think the previous thread may have the possibility

Cheers Steve
Old 23-12-2017, 01:07   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do the same with my genset.
If so were to do it on my main engine, I believe I may power it off of the alternator or maybe through an oil pressure switch like you do a Hobbs meter, no oil pressure, no water flow.
Then I think I'd run it through a ball valve that is connected to the throttle, adding throttle opens the ball valve and of course increases water flow.
I have considered it, but likely will not as my mechanical pump seems very reliable.
On my generator it was leaking and spraying salt water all over the generator inside of its enclosure and ai didn't know it, ai did not want that to repeat so ai went with a March air conditioner pump, way more reliable and way more trouble free.

Hi, Googling madly and came across this.

Can I please have a bit more info on how this was kobbled together on your genny?
My genset is a kubota D950 engine, the raw water pump is not belt driven so I imagine a sealing plate will need to be fashioned where the pump and shaft were attached?
I have some 3mm aluminium plate I could use.

Thanks in advance.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My raw water pump is mounted externally and driven with a toothed belt, so in my case it was simply a matter of removing the pump.
If I had an engine driven pump like yours, I think I would remove the impeller and leave the pump installed and just remove the hose. The shaft turning by itself should not pose any concern.
I’d remove the impeller, remove the two hoses and replace with one routing past the pump and install an electric down in the bilge.
If you use an air conditioner pump like I did, it won’t self prime, it must be below the water line.
Leaving the pump installed also makes it so you could go back to the mechanical pump if you desired easily, by just replacing the impeller and hoses.
I am not familiar with your engine and pump, so verify what I’m suggesting and or ask a mechanic, don’t go by my suggestion alone.
Don’t burn any bridges you don’t have to
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're not going to use the direct drive pump. pull it out. Some pumps have a bronze water lubed bearing and all the bearings types depend on the water for cooling.
It's no big deal to close the pump attachment point. You need a piece of metal bigger than the hole. Usually it can be held in place by the bolts that held the pump. Use a sealer that remains flexible like silicone.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 13:47   #15

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When I was configuring the genset I ordered from Aqua Marine https://aquamarineinc.net/minigen.php, I was asked if I wanted a belt-driven or electric raw water pump. The difference that was explained to me was that a belt-driven pump drew more horsepower away from the engine. A small, 12vdc Oberdorfer pump was installed and switched via an oil pressure switch. The initial pump failed within 200 hours, leaving me wishing that I had ordered the belt-driven pump. However, the replacement pump has worked well for the subsequent 1,800+ hours.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, raw water, raw water pump, water