Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 18:22   #1

Boat: Creala 40 Pilothouse
Injectors rebuilt! But a question...

I recently had Seattle Injector rebuild my injectors for my Yanmar 4jh2e, and the two are not identical, strictly speaking and am unsure how to continue. Pictures supplied:

The new injectors have a metal ring supplied with them, but would just drop off if I were to attempt inserting them. Did the injector folks mess something up?

Click image for larger version

Name:	111F345D-327E-47AA-A12F-749C75336D12.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	239002
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 19:50   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Injectors rebuilt! But a question...

They look the same to me (assuming that's just a sliding seal towards the return fitting). The one on the right has the metal ring and a copper crush-washer stuck on the end (crusted on with carbon). Find a parts manual for your engine and see if there are supposed to be 2 washers and if so, which order they go in.. Typically there is a copper washer that goes in the hole, then the injector goes in behind/through it. The copper is soft and when the injector is bolted in tight it squishes a bit and makes a seal. Make sure the old ones aren't still down the holes before putting in the new ones!
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 20:53   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I should have mentioned - the bore the injector fits into has a "shelf" at the bottom that the washer sits on - it can't fall into the engine.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 21:31   #4

Both are wrong, the washer goes on the injector then the insulator sleeve. Never 2 washers as on the RH injector in the pic .....UNLESS the injector hole has been re machined. They don’t look new.

And give em a good coat of grease when you re fit them.
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 22:04   #5

A dab of grease will keep the copper washer seal on the injector while you install it into the cylinder head. The copper washer crush seal is loose because it has not yet been compressed into making the seal.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 22:14   #6

A dab of grease will keep the copper washer seal on the injector while you install it into the cylinder head. The copper washer crush seal is loose because it has not yet been compressed into making the seal. The hat shaped piece on the old injector is a heat shield and goes into the head first - it my have its own seal ring beneath it. These heat shields often get stuck in the head when the injector is removed. Best to get a parts blow up assembly diagram for the injector/ head to visualize the order of parts assembly.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 01:25   #7

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Trust:
You say the injectors were “rebuilt”. I’ve had lots of injectors rebuilt and every time they were completely taken apart and cleaned and came back looking shiny with no carbon on them. When you say “rebuild” just exactly what did they do to the injectors? If they just tested the spray pattern, and pop pressure, that’s not a rebuild.
The injector on the right looks like it hasn’t had any work done on it at all. The one on the left looks like it possibly has had a new nozzle installed. The right one has the original nozzle and it looks pretty dirty. If I had injectors rebuilt and they were returned looking that that, i would refuse to pay.
Just saying....BTW, wht did they charge you?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 08:50   #8

You know there is a good diesel shop in Bellingham..
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 09:17   #9

Boat: KP 46

Interesting, the manual does not show a crush washer, but there sure is one on the old injector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inj.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	239026  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 10:31   #10

Nuku:
The rebuilt looking one was 1/4 that was actually rebuilt. The haggard looking one I just pulled. It came out as you see it.
Old 23-05-2021, 10:41   #11

Boat: Sailboat

Trust: the old one has two crush washers on it, which is wrong. Someone removed the injector without making sure to also remove the old crush washer from the hole. When removing an injector, usually the crush washer comes out with the injector, but sometimes it does not.

The service shop gave you the correct parts. The protective sleeve is already installed, slipped over the tip. The washer can be fixed with a dab of grease, or you place that washer in the hole before putting the injector in.

Before installation, inspect carefully each hole to not have an old crush washer left in there.

This is from the parts manual for the 4JH2 series:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210523_113528.png
Views:	57
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	239034  
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 10:44   #12

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Interesting, the manual does not show a crush washer, but there sure is one on the old injector.
That doesn't look like a 4JH2.. see pic above for the correct one.

Correction: I see where your pic came from, the service manual for the 4JH2 series. Still wrong. Even the retainer, which holds down the injector is wrong.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 11:07   #13

Well I’m gonna give it a try with what was supplied and if it doesn’t work, we’ll know there is more to the story! Lol

Thank you all, I’ll report back!
Old 23-05-2021, 12:06   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust View Post
Well I’m gonna give it a try with what was supplied and if it doesn’t work, we’ll know there is more to the story! Lol

I would heed those suggesting that you insure an old compression washer isn't in there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 13:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust View Post

From memory, that sealing washer has a radius on one face and a sharpish edge on the other to allow for a slight radius on the nozzle to holder joint, it’s not symmetrical.
The genuine Yanmar washers don’t seem to be copper either, usually black and very hard. I always replace em with new washers but have never thought to file a bit off an old one to find out for sure.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote