Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 15:45   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Injector Nozzles

Hi All:

I recently purchased a pop tester and learned how to rebuild injectors. It really wasn't as hard as people say. You need a clean place to work and patience. A vice is nice but not essential. Shims can be hard to find. Nozzles as well. My Yanmar 4JH4E has 856 hours on it. At 1000 hours they recommend that you inspect the injectors. I don't have any problem with the technical aspects of rebuilding the injectors but don't know where I can find the parts. When I look at the Yanmar parts store they say that the nozzles and shims are no longer available just buy the entire injector.

Does anyone know where I can buy the nozzles and shims?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 16:04   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
You may be able to find them at a independent shop who rebuilds pumps & injectors. Good Luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 16:10   #3

Re: Injector nozzles

Thanks River Cruiser I will give that a shot

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 26-01-2012, 16:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Hi Charlie,
That was one of the few smart things I did before sailing away from Long Beach, CA in 1988. I took several courses at Cypress College, marine repair, OB's, diesel engines, transmissions, out drives, etc. I then specialized in fuel systems, bought a tester and parts to take with me. It helped the cruising kitty for many years.

Now the Yanmar BS. I settled here on the bayou in 1996 and started my business again, but over the years yanmar parts have become so expensive and the difficulty dealing with them led me to say STOP, I added yanmar to my BANNED list along with the "Green Grief". I will not work on their engines or injectors! Well, except for the old TS series I have powering my genset and the 2GM we have in the shop. IMHO, the older Yanmars are excellent engines, but I don't care for the newer models. Sport fishers in our area that have repowered with yanmars often must rebuild in 1,000 to 2,000 hours. YMMV

I have some yanmar shims left over. I will inventory and drop you a line.

Tom, who never has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi All:

I recently purchased a pop tester and learned how to rebuild injectors. It really wasn't as hard as people say. You need a clean place to work and patience. A vice is nice but not essential. Shims can be hard to find. Nozzles as well. My Yanmar 4JH4E has 856 hours on it. At 1000 hours they recommend that you inspect the injectors. I don't have any problem with the technical aspects of rebuilding the injectors but don't know where I can find the parts. When I look at the Yanmar parts store they say that the nozzles and shims are no longer available just buy the entire injector.

Does anyone know where I can buy the nozzles and shims?
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 16:30   #5

That sounds like a good thing to specialize in Tom. I was thinking of doing something like that but I am sure that the smell on the boat while pop testing would drive the admiral crazy. I on the other hand love the smell of diesel in the morning.

I did call about the Yanmar nozzels and it looks like I can pick them up from a local shop for around $75.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad