Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08   #106
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,020
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

^^ if only and only $10.95!
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:09   #107
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,531
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Yeah, but that tubing looked bueno. No way you could bend a regular tube like that. Maybe it was AL.
__________________

Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:14   #108
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 22,480
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Are there Yanmar based tractor places where you are? Possible they have new fuel lines for much less?
Cheap hand benders work fine for steel brake tubing...
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:31   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,215
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

By the time you fabricate new pipes and fit them you are not saving much money. After you make a set what do you do if you have a problem? Make them again? What is your time worth? Keep in mind that injector pump pressures are measured in thousands of PSI. Buy a set and you are done.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man, even if it is a rip off price.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:42   #110
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 22,480
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Even straight simples ones appear expensive no matter where you buy them. Maybe $250's not bad.
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/3...RoC_V4QAvD_BwE
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 18:02   #111
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 16,305
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
By the time you fabricate new pipes and fit them you are not saving much money. After you make a set what do you do if you have a problem? Make them again? What is your time worth? Keep in mind that injector pump pressures are measured in thousands of PSI. Buy a set and you are done.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man, even if it is a rip off price.
Wottie may choose to answer this himself, but I'll try to explain his apparent madness (he's a personal friend, btw).

Wottie, like many of us, is retired and so in literal fact, his time has no specific dollar value. He enjoys the process of restoring old equipment of various sorts, not for profit but the simple pleasure of making something run once again. Again like many of us, he prefers to do it "on the cheap", even if he could afford to simply buy the necessary bit.

With these factors in mind, perhaps you can understand his efforts to make these injector lines... he's having a ball, despite occasionally bitching about th process.

GO WOTTIE!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Hobart for a while, chasing doctors around.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:04   #112
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Posts: 1,548
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Looking at the vid in post #105 Wottie I have complete faith in you to do the bending ( & everything else )
I'm banking on it
With the added benefit that it will be much more satisfying than getting reamed by the Yanmar mafia
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:08   #113
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,215
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wottie may choose to answer this himself, but I'll try to explain his apparent madness (he's a personal friend, btw).

Wottie, like many of us, is retired and so in literal fact, his time has no specific dollar value. He enjoys the process of restoring old equipment of various sorts, not for profit but the simple pleasure of making something run once again. Again like many of us, he prefers to do it "on the cheap", even if he could afford to simply buy the necessary bit.

With these factors in mind, perhaps you can understand his efforts to make these injector lines... he's having a ball, despite occasionally bitching about th process.

GO WOTTIE!

Jim
Jim, I am the same kind of person. I have done many jobs myself because I take pride in doing them including making my own parts. Not always the most beneficial use of my time. But in cases like this it just makes sense to pay the piper.

My wife complains when I search for an hour to buy something from the cheapest source because I feel ripped off by the major marine suppliers. I don't like spending any more money than I have to. I retied at the ripe old age of 39 and sailed around the world. Did that by being a tight wad.

In cases where reliability is paramount, like having a reliable engine I would not scrimp. Just my opinion. Regards, Brian
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:20   #114
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,531
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

I'm not willing to accuse him of being a luddite either.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:47   #115
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 3,608
Images: 7
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
By the time you fabricate new pipes and fit them you are not saving much money. After you make a set what do you do if you have a problem? Make them again? What is your time worth? Keep in mind that injector pump pressures are measured in thousands of PSI. Buy a set and you are done.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man, even if it is a rip off price.
I seem to recall that the injector setting pressure for Yanmar injectors is 2,400 psi which, considering the small size of the connections, would not generate very large forces.

I once stopped a pinhole leak in a high pressure mud line carrying 3,000 psi with a Band It hose clamp and a small piece of rubber. My boss would not believe a hose clamp would hold 3,000 psi and actually climbed up into the derrick to see for himself. When I did the maths for a half millimetre hole he realized that the forces generated on the clamp were well within it's strength rating.

Go for it Wottie.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 21:11   #116
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,020
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Yeah, but that tubing looked bueno. No way you could bend a regular tube like that. Maybe it was AL.
Bueno ???, while not familiar with the term, google translates it from Spanish to English as "good" or "fine". Perhaps I'm missing sometime as I suspect you aren't saying it is good.

And yes, I did think it bent way too easily!
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 21:27   #117
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,020
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Jim, I am the same kind of person. I have done many jobs myself because I take pride in doing them including making my own parts. Not always the most beneficial use of my time. But in cases like this it just makes sense to pay the piper.

My wife complains when I search for an hour to buy something from the cheapest source because I feel ripped off by the major marine suppliers. I don't like spending any more money than I have to. I retied at the ripe old age of 39 and sailed around the world. Did that by being a tight wad.

In cases where reliability is paramount, like having a reliable engine I would not scrimp. Just my opinion. Regards, Brian
Others upthread have explained my position fairly well but let me add it has become personal to me not to encourage Yanmar in any way unless it is really really necessary ever since I had to pay Yanmar $500 for a single crankshaft main bearing for a 40 year old 8 hp engine.

I came very close to making my own at that time but I couldn't convince myself that the bearing stock I could source was as good as the Yanmar original. However since then and with more research, I'm pretty sure it would have been fine.

In case of these injector lines, the current ones have lasted 30+ years and it is only due to poor maintenance (by POs) that the exterior of them have wasted away. I can't see why similar DIY lines should not be as good. If I get them made a diesel injector shop, they will use the same steel, the same bends and the same ends and without wanting to over inflate my ability, I think I can do as well as their apprentice .

Time will tell.

And FWIW, I think the most reliable items when sailing are those that you can make (or repair) yourself.

However I appreciate your input - thanks.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 21:46   #118
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 11,020
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I seem to recall that the injector setting pressure for Yanmar injectors is 2,400 psi which, considering the small size of the connections, would not generate very large forces.

I once stopped a pinhole leak in a high pressure mud line carrying 3,000 psi with a Band It hose clamp and a small piece of rubber. My boss would not believe a hose clamp would hold 3,000 psi and actually climbed up into the derrick to see for himself. When I did the maths for a half millimetre hole he realized that the forces generated on the clamp were well within it's strength rating.

Go for it Wottie.
Yes, they are 2,400 psi and you make a good point about the relative sizes - I need to remember that!
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 22:17   #119
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,215
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Others upthread have explained my position fairly well but let me add it has become personal to me not to encourage Yanmar in any way unless it is really really necessary ever since I had to pay Yanmar $500 for a single crankshaft main bearing for a 40 year old 8 hp engine.

I came very close to making my own at that time but I couldn't convince myself that the bearing stock I could source was as good as the Yanmar original. However since then and with more research, I'm pretty sure it would have been fine.

In case of these injector lines, the current ones have lasted 30+ years and it is only due to poor maintenance (by POs) that the exterior of them have wasted away. I can't see why similar DIY lines should not be as good. If I get them made a diesel injector shop, they will use the same steel, the same bends and the same ends and without wanting to over inflate my ability, I think I can do as well as their apprentice .

Time will tell.

And FWIW, I think the most reliable items when sailing are those that you can make (or repair) yourself.

However I appreciate your input - thanks.
OK, I see that it is not the money but the principal. I agree with you. There is one particular well known sail equipment company that I feel the same way about. I won't bore you with details. Best regards, Brian
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 23:20   #120
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Posts: 1,548
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Bueno ???, while not familiar with the term, google translates it from Spanish to English as "good" or "fine". Perhaps I'm missing sometime as I suspect you aren't saying it is good.

And yes, I did think it bent way too easily!
So did I Wottie, but wanna encourage you as I have a wager riding on it.
cannot say if Ali wud be adequate as I cant do the calc. But absolutely sure that original Yammer injection tube cannot be hand bent by most people. I was just having a laugh.
I have the same philosophy re Yanmar. The NZ $630 for an 8 hp conrod has permanently embittered me.
Our YS series engines ok but parts prices NOT. There are others that are just as bad, Volvo & Bukh spring to mind.
Think the "Bueno" quote mite be a mistake, I think you are on the right track saying you suspect it's not good
__________________

Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injector line nut size for Yanmar 2qm15? bony Engines and Propulsion Systems 14 27-10-2015 04:32
bad injector line twinboat Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 24-08-2013 10:18
Injector Fuel Line: DIY? How hard can that be to make? agilmore Engines and Propulsion Systems 29 13-08-2013 09:05
injector leak-off line on 4.108 phorvati Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 07-05-2012 10:59
Seeking Injector Line for Westerbeke W-30 bobdmac Engines and Propulsion Systems 12 26-02-2012 12:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.