Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 16:30   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Injection pump timing

After struggling with a leaking fuel injection pump on my Westerbeke W30 (CAV DPA pump), I replaced it with a rebuilt unit. Discovered my indexing mark was made on the gasket rather than the block (Doh!). No prior mark visible. It runs but is hard starting. Any simple tips about timing the pump?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:46   #2

Re: Injection pump timing

No simple tips, but if you go to "Westerbeke.com" and then " document library" you can find the technical manual for the W30. This contains the timing procedure for the CAV injection pump.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 13:18   #3

the manual references a factory tool that is no longer available to set a timing pointer that is not installed on my engine.

Any other ideas? Just adjust and tweak until it sounds right and starts easy?
Old 20-03-2016, 17:25   #4

Yes, you could try to adjust the timing a bit at a time and try to find a good smooth running spot.......wouldn't be the first time that has been done.

You could also call the distributor for FL and see if they could recommend a good service dealer near you. The dealer probably has the timing plates, etc that are required. The distributor for FL used to be RB Grove in the Miami area.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 19:21   #5

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

When I was at mechanic college many moons ago we would 'spill time' pumps using a 'U' shaped tube on number one injection port, use that with the main timing mark on the crank or find TDC the old fashioned way. I'm not go into detail the procedure because my memory is sketchy at best, but now you have a key word to google. Please share the procedure if you find it.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 23:46   #6

Steve, that would have been with an inline jerk pump with the delivery valves removed.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 05:44   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If you haven't removed the injector pump drive spindle, just make a reference mark on the pump mounting flange and front gear cover. Then make tiny adjustments until the engine runs smoothly and starts quickly. The pump is indexed to only mount in one position.

If you have removed the drive spindle (or someone before you has), then you must make sure that it is in the correct position before installing the pump. From the manual, it seems a handy person could do this without the timing disc noted in the manual, 360 degrees is 360 degrees everywhere...just follow the instructions in the manual.

To do it properly, I suppose one should have the 18G269 timing gauge and disc, but if you have the drive spindle in the correct place, you should be able to get it close enough by trial and error. As suggested, the authorized dealer should have the position checking tool, and there are probably other mechanics in the area that do too.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:44   #8

email in to Westerbeke distributor and phone call to local dealer. No answers yet. Next step is to call some local independents and ask how they do it. I assume the tool is obsolete and not widely available.
Old 21-03-2016, 12:58   #9
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Look for witness marks where the flange mounting nuts/bolts secured the old pump & transfer them to the new pump for a starting point
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 18:07   #10

Boat: CS36T

Following
Old 22-03-2016, 19:18   #11

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Steve, that would have been with an inline jerk pump with the delivery valves removed.
Mr. Dog correct, it was a long time ago...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 22:45   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
email in to Westerbeke distributor and phone call to local dealer. No answers yet. Next step is to call some local independents and ask how they do it. I assume the tool is obsolete and not widely available.
Looked into it a little further, the best I can tell is that the base engine is a Nissan 1H series, used mainly in light trucks. Information is sketchy, but the bore and stroke match, and the (slightly odd) fuel pump mounting on the side of the block does too.

This engine model appears to be at the end of its' model service life in 1980, and in any case doesn't seem to have been imported into the US much, though I may be wrong about that.

If the engine started easily and ran well (besides the leaky pump) previously, then there is really no need to question the orientation of the pump drive spindle and you should be able to time it by ear. It is also possible that the 1H engine found its' way into forklifts, and that their mechanics might also be a service source...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote